PDA

View Full Version : Post nasal drip.

Horse
19-04-11, 08:34
Does anyone know what actually causes Post Nasal Drip in the first place?
Horse.

missykat
19-04-11, 08:44
cud be weather. or increase of hormones.i found the bc pill was the cause of mine so i stopped it and im fine now. maybe even a slight allergy u mite have to something even

blueangel
19-04-11, 09:29
Post nasal drip can also be a result of having had a cold or sinusitis. I seem to be very prone to it and alost always get it after I've had a virus in my nose or throat. About the only thing I have found that shifts it properly is a steroid nasal spray (you can buy beclomethasone over the counter).

Horse
19-04-11, 10:08
Many thanks for replies.

I am presuming (without Googling) that PND is actually when your nose keeps running, regardless of the weather, but especially if it's cold or windy?

I appear to have suffered this for years. Also I notice that my eyes will stream with water with the slightest of wind (geographical not gastric)!

This morning my nose ran as soon as I got out of bed but was fine before that. Strange.

Horse.

nomorepanic
19-04-11, 10:35
I thought a PND was when it ran down your throat so you didn't actually get a runny nose as such.

Horse
19-04-11, 10:56
Yes Nicola, I think that is also the case.

I appear to get both, Lord knows where it all comes from!

mick_uk
19-04-11, 13:39
Mine used to be caused by acid reflux. I cleared that up and the PND stopped too. It was misdiagnosed as an allergy at first. Once I found out it was the acid reflux, i adjusted my diet, cut out certain foods and the acid stopped which in turn dried up the PND.

Horse
19-04-11, 14:46
Thank Mick.
How bizarre that Acid Reflux would cause PND.

brisaya
19-04-11, 15:09
I suffer with this and the weather and acid reflux causes mine but omeprazole really helps me x

hopeless
19-04-11, 15:15
I suffer with pnd and find it gets worse if i eat dairy products such as cheese,milk etc.. Also if the weather is very damp...

kibbutz83
19-04-11, 15:32
My pnd appeared after I quit smoking, and then became pre-menopausal... maybe it's connected also to lactose intolerance? I know mine's much worse when I've eaten dairy... especially the yummy cornish one with bits of honeycomb in my freezer :)

kibbutz83
19-04-11, 15:33
Cornish ice cream that is :)

Horse
19-04-11, 18:40
Many thanks.
Just for the record, I am on a strict Gluten/Wheat Free diet owing to Coeliac Disease and also have been put on a Lactose Free diet during the past 3 weeks, so that doesn't appear to make any difference. Also, I notice the runny nose especially if eating/drinking anything hot such as dinner/tea coffee etc., or drinking cold drinks seems to have the same effect.
I just find it annoying more than anything else. Strangely, I don't suffer Hay Fever either.