PDA

View Full Version : Muscle twitching/jerking.

worried91
19-04-11, 23:49
Hi all,

In September last year I lost my job due to budget cuts and have since had the stress of moving house and my grandmother passing due to cancer.

I have been suffering from various anxiety symptoms since the end of October, including shortness of breath, light headedness, dizziness, mild confusion, fatigue and poor short term memory. Every GP I've seen is very satisfied that these symptoms were caused by anxiety and are nothing to worry about, and that indeed that worrying about them is the worst thing I could do. I had a complete blood count in November and everything was absolutely fine apart from an elevated liver enzyme level which I was retested for a couple of weeks later and was presumably fine as I heard nothing back from the surgery. Anyway, all of these symptoms have, for the most part now passed although I do still feel a little lightheaded on occasion.

However, at the start of this month I began to suffer from randomly jerking muscles all over my body, primarily in my legs but also in my arms and abdomen. The jerks are mostly very minor and 99.9% are invisible to everyone except me. Stupidly I consulted Dr Google and Dr Wikipedia and was told that this was myoclonus, which means I could have CJD or ALS. Despite the logical part of my brain realising these diseases are unbelievably rare, and my symptoms don't really fit with them anyway, I became obsessed with the thought I had something awful. These symptoms also passed upon reassurance from my GP that they were not myoclonus, as myoclonic jerks would be very severe and noticable to others, and whatever they were they were not the presenting symptoms of some unspeakably awful incurable disease. He also insisted that I stop using the internet to attempt to self-diagnose. I did ask for a blood test as I've heard that low levels of various things can cause these symptoms, but as I had one in November he says it is highly unlikely anything will have changed.

However since last Thursday or Friday I have felt my anxiety levels increase again and the muscular twitching has returned, this time in the back of my neck which is much more irritating and harder to ignore. It seems to be worse when I am tired and improves considerably when I am busy and my mind is occupied. I'm sure I could run back down to the doctor's surgery tomorrow and feel a lot better but I'm sick of going down there every week.

I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems and could reassure me that I'm not alone as all the websites I've used (yes I know I should have stopped Googling!) don't list muscle jerking as a symptom of anxiety.

Sorry for a very long and boring first post!

Cheers :)

xBettyBoopx
20-04-11, 00:28
Hi worried

:welcome: to NMP :)

Do you mean muscles twitches? You can see the muscle moving under the skin? If so, it's very normal, apparently it is a part of anxiety but doesn't necessarily have to be. As we speak I have one twitching in my stomach, one in my leg and one on my eye!! I get so used to them, having had them since I can remember, that I don't take any real notice now and only realized that I was twiching when I read your post LOOL!

Be reassured that these twitches/jerks are very normal and nothing to worry about, so change your user name LOOL!:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

Els

worried91
20-04-11, 01:05
Its more like the muscle contracts and relaxes suddenly and quickly in my neck and and my head moves a little; it does it quite often but not continuously like a spasm, it's more like a mini electric shock.

I don't think it fits the medical definition of "twitch" but it seems the easiest way to describe it.

Tyke
20-04-11, 01:35
Hi Worried

I get these. They seemed to start when I went on to medication and I wondered if it was a side effect, but then again I went on medication because my anxiety was bad, so maybe it's just part of the anxiety as Els says, this would seem the most likely. Out of interest are you taking anything medication wise that could possibly have anything to do with it?

Tyke

vicky39
20-04-11, 02:59
I get this as well my feet and toes jerk along with a numbness in my top arms im woken up in the nite with it

Anxious_gal
20-04-11, 05:07
I get them on my face,eyes,
ALOT in my neck and chest,
backs of legs,
some times it can feel like a "tapping" or "pulling"
I get twitches on my baby toe too, my toe actually twitches lol.

tense muscles, sleeping funny and anxiety can all be a cause.

xtremx
16-05-11, 14:10
Hi worried91.
I hear where you are coming from,I am going thought the same thing as you i have 24/7 twitches/spasms in my calfs also spreaded to my thumb and elbow also stomach.also suffer from panic attacks/gad

I have got an appointment to see a neurologist next month so hopefully BFS and not ALS or just plain stress.

I found taking magnesium supplements help for the twitches calmed them down nicely but have had to stop them with going to the neurologist.

xtremx

f0rest
29-08-11, 11:28
the worst thing u could do is keep depending on doctors and find a way to re assure yourself, because in the future u get dependant on other people re-assuring you :) (i should know beleive me :D) im still suffering from anxiety attacks but i try to avoid the doctors because im wasting their time and people who really do need care could maybe at the worst could die because of my anxiety... good luck and try be self dependant/positive youll get through this :)

Gemma T
29-08-11, 11:48
Hi Worried91

I have the muscle twitching alot.

I hit my head the other day and have a concussion so you can imagine my anx is sky high. I have been a and e and been given the all ok but last night I was continuously jumping when trying to fall asleep. It was like my heart kept skipping beats over and over again.

Like you I have to rationalize. I could google head injuries and ectopic heart beats and end up in a downwards spiral but I know my twitching is muscle and not my heart and all part of a downer from contant anxiety. Soon as you relax the symptoms start which makes you anxious again. Just bare in mind it is the anxiety. Scary at times but normal.

Love

Gem x x x

Petesy
05-01-17, 00:29
I know this is old but i get this all over my body like it's jolting from electricity scary stuff for me.

GlassPinata
05-01-17, 03:20
Yes, I often have one muscle twitching in my left eyelid.
It seems it MUST be noticeable to other people, and it makes me self-conscious, but I've looked in the mirror while my eyelid muscle is twitching, and it's not really noticeable.
I think this is quite common with anxiety sufferers. We are, as they used to say, "high-strung".
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

lofwyr
05-01-17, 05:09
My nervous system is a mess from anxiety. My left foot buzzes off and on like a cell phone is taped to it. My calves and thighs get visible muscle twitches constantly, my eyelids, lips, cheeks and thumbs are seemingly plugged into the electrical grid.

I have been like this for 27 years, no als, ms or anything else.