PDA

View Full Version : Advice for having a MRI

Ambers
20-04-11, 07:27
Just need some reassurance that I Can Do this!

I am having a MRI scan on my pelvis in the next couple days. I saw the doctor yesterday and was referred and waiting for a telephone call.

I am desperately clausaphobic (sp)

I had an operation that went wrong and I didn't go to sleep on the operating table but was paralysed and couldn't move to tell them I was awake. So you can see that I am terrified of being cocooned - I cant even go into a toilet cubicle if it doesn't have windows etc.

My anxiety has got much worse over the weeks possibly hand-in-hand with my pelvic pain. I am not sure if I am having dye...not so worried about that.

I can do this, right? I need some reassurance that I can think about - help!!!

Maureen54
20-04-11, 08:39
Hi Ambers,
no wonder you're terrified.!! Im sure you will be offered sedation beforehand. That might help you to relax and cope with it a bit better. hope all goes well x

Elen
20-04-11, 10:06
Hi

I can understand why you are nervous.

When I had to have one I was advised to close my eyes and relax before going into the machine and it worked for me.

The staff are well aware that patients experience different levels of anxiety over the procedure and are well used to dealing with those.

You will be absolutely fine.

h

nomorepanic
20-04-11, 13:22
You are not offered sedation beforehand - you have to see the doc about that before you go if you want some.

I could not go through with the MRI I had booked - they tried putting me in 3 times and I freaked out lol.

I hope you can do it though - good luck

Ambers
20-04-11, 14:57
Thank you all for your replies. My MRI is booked for next Wednesday and it will be a full bodied one (yikes). No dye is required thankfully. I explained my fear and she suggested contacting my normal doctor (this is all private) for sedative...which I have requested. They also will allow my husband to come into the room with me and touch the top of my head through the whole thing, as long as he fills out a risk assessment - so feeling slightly more positive that I can do it.

I do have one other worry - asthma attack - can you bring your pump into the MRI? I guess I cannot move but wondered if it could be sighted near me. Jeez I am a worry to myself :blush:

snowgoose
20-04-11, 15:59
Hi Ambers,

the staff are not far away .............just behind screen .....................so your inhalor will be near at hand ......if not in your hand . you will be given a buzzer to press if it gets too much .
you will be fine honestly ......................do the breathing and if they play music through head pieces all the better . close your eyes and regulate your breathing .

the staff know how scary it is for some of us and will reassure you xxxx

margaret jones
20-04-11, 16:37
Hi MRI I had one 3 yrs ago and really like everyone says try and relax and you will have a buzzer for emergency , and if it is any help my friends aunt works in the MRI suite and they are very aware of patients responses to the MRI and sympathetic so go for it and think how proud you will be when it has finished xx

Hazel B
20-04-11, 17:42
I have had 2 MRIs recently to check on my gallbladder and liver.

I am claustrophobic to the extent that I hate lifts and will not go into caves or long tunnels. I also hate the tube and try to get the bus in London as much as poss. I was very worried about feeling enclosed in the MRI scanner but it was not as bad as I'd imagined. It was light and I could see both ends, which really helps, as you're not completely closed in.

You have a buzzer if you need it and can listen to music on headphones. You have to fill out questions at the start about any metal implants in your body, as you cannot wear or take anything metal at all into the scanner room. If your inhaler is a metal one, they will look after it for you nearby.

I am short sighted and without my glasses it was a bit blurry, which helped. I thought of all my favourite people, my niece and nephews and all my happy family memories where we are laughing and telling jokes. I almost drifted off to sleep at the end, after all my worries it was not at all bad. They found a benign liver lesion and gallstones, so I really needed that MRI scan. My gallbladder has now been removed.

I hope you will be fine, it's the thoought and anticipation that's worst not the actual thing.

ronski
20-04-11, 18:02
Ambers I used to work occasionally in an MRI suite when I was in employment in the NHS. You are not alone in having concerns regarding claustrophobia but let me put your mind at rest that the staff will understand and they will be able to see you and talk to you throughout the procedure. The worst thing about the MRI scan is the noise, like dustbin lids being banged together but you will get either ear plugs or some headphones with some music.
Honestly so long as you pass the safety questionnaire allowing you to have the scan then it's plain sailing. They do take slightly longer than CT scans but obviously the doctors feel that the MRI scan is the best way forward for you. If you have any concerns that have not being answered ring the hospital and speak to the staff n the MRI suite.
Ambers I used to work in anaesthetics as a ODP that's why I used to occasionally work in the MRI scanner. With all of the high tech monitoring these days with capnography, gas monitoring, nerve stimulation it is virtually impossible to be awake but still under the drugs that cause muscle relaxation. Either your experience was decades ago or maybe you were being brought around after your operation and the reversal of the muscle relaxant which is neostigmine had not quite worked which gave you such awful sensations. Just a thought to help put your mind at rest.

countrygirl
20-04-11, 20:46
I had to have pelvic mri for ovarian cyst two years ago and having had 10 other mri scans on spine and being very claustrophobic it was a lovely surprise when I went for the pelvic one as they put me in feet first and my upper body was out of the scanner. The only iffy part was the scan of this part ofmy body made the area feel very very hot i was starting to get a bit worried as they said it would feel warm but to me it was very hot but it was fine. if its from your waist down ask ifyou can go in feet first and I always askmy gP for a prescription for some diazepam and take about 6mgs half hour before scan so I can walk and talk but feel very happy!

Ambers
20-04-11, 22:39
Thank you all, I really appreciate your messages and will absorb and use your advice. I really need to have this scan done therefore I must must must stay inside. Countrygirl I have asked to doctor for a sedative, just waiting for the prescription.

:scared15:

Serb
21-04-11, 20:44
Hi, not sure where you live but I just had an MRI at the London upright MRI, google it, it's like a stand up non enclosed MRI, was amazing.