PDA

View Full Version : Calf Fasciculations/spasms

xtremx
20-04-11, 19:48
Hi, I seem to be suffering from Calf spasms (Fasciculations) having them in my right leg for about 4 months now,but have just started in my left leg.Can see and feel them mainly when relaxing from morn-night.

Have seen a new Dr and she has said that it would be best to See a neurologist (just have to wait 2-3 months) to rule out als/mnd so at the moment scared out off mind.

Could this be anxiety anyone else have similar.

giantfan
24-04-11, 14:09
Xtremx,

Not to worry, I'm right there with you!!!

Three weeks ago muscle fasciculations started to go 24/7 in both calf muscles and occasionally odd ones in other areas - shoulders, triceps, thumb muscle etc.

I'm the same, if I stand or flex, they disappear, but if I lay on the couch to watch TV they dance like there's a party going on in there.

From what I've read, everything says its quite common in anxiety folks and it's more what could be associated with the twitching that is more a concern (eg my right leg has felt terribly weak which is NOT good).

My EMG is June 3rd, so I have a nice period of time to sit and stew over it.

Hang in there, checkout BFS as I bet your issues are very similar to that.

xtremx
26-04-11, 14:31
Hiya giantfan.

Hopefully we are both suffering from BFS and that it goes away like it arrives sudden (as maybe like me thay make me feel very disconcerted).

Do you find that the calf muscle feels very tight ,I to find that my right leg is generally feeling weak but not to a great extent.

All the best

xtremx
28-04-11, 21:11
Hiya giantfan, How are you doing.
Noticed your post on the alsforum hope you are doing alright, Just mailing you as noticed a small but interesting bit of info on cramping (may include fasciculations).

In-regards to water consumption over the last 3 months I have become a water freak that is all i drink about 2-3 litres aday.
Here is a line from another forum "By drinking water only you can knock your electrolytes out and that can mean a decrease in magnesium and potassium amongst others which can contribute to muscle cramps as an example",I am trying to find more info on this as sounds interesting

giantfan
01-05-11, 16:59
Hey Xtremex,

Sorry for the delay in my response and got your pm...

The waiting is a b*tch isnt it?! Gives us anxious folks lots of time for headgames...

Ya, they spanked me a bit on that other forum, but I think they missed my question regarding how weakness feels/progresses.

My right leg definitely feels 'off'. And can tell the exact date it didn't feel quite right (March 18th). Was doing a lot of workouts, so maybe I tweaked it or did something to my back when at the chiro or picking up some dumbbells.

Twitching started for me on April 5th, which was just after a flight to New Orleans and I noticed them sleeping that night. Both calves, and 1% other spots around my body.

Here we are now, May 1, twitching in my calves not stop when I lay down. But if I stand still for a period, I can feel them in my feet.

Right leg still hasn't felt right, and if anything feels worse. But how much of that is because I've now over exerted it in testing and hurt my knee & hip doing single leg speed squats etc.

Now my left knee feeling off, but again, is it because I've been checking my balance a few dozen times a day, or doing some sort of other tests (eg heel walk, toe walk, yada yada) and now my anxiety is feeding my symptoms.

I noticed my femoral nerve seems a bit sensitive in my right leg, so maybe this all comes down to me pinching something and agrevating it by excessive trials of the leg...

Either way, the 'A' word is on my mind right now every waking minute and it sucks beyond believe.

The rationale side of me says stats are against it and towards anxiety creating and manifesting into all of my symptoms, but the fear side of me continues to fuel the worst case scenerio... And of course I'm 40, which is right when everything starts to happen lol (although average age of als onset is 65 years old - one of the stats I looked up). But on the other forum, you'll see lots of 35-55 aged folks... Bloody diseases...

xtremx
01-05-11, 18:00
Hiya , thats ok was not expecting a quick reply.

Yeah the als site has some good info on it but sometimes when a question is asked it is hard to get the point across of what you are asking (they have a lot to think about "hopefully we will not").
Seen you posts on the bfs site that has some good info on it just put a post on as well (same user name as here)

I too am doing all the home tests up&down the stairs skipping and all that (must STOP will drive you mad) checking legs everything, it is crazy.

I am with you on the age thing 39 (not all that active, but have calf's that would please anyone toned and when i stretch them the backs are flat and tight shows the muscle up)

Just have to wait till the 3rd June to see what the neurologist says

All the best Chris