PDA

View Full Version : Sudden unprovoked fear I have melanoma....

Cali54321
20-04-11, 20:41
So, I've had this mole since I was young, and never even paid it any mind until I recently become self employed and spend ALOT of time alone. I'm now convinced it has been melanoma all along and that it could have changed but in the back of my mind I know it hasn't.

It's a healthy brown color, it's 8mm around (yes a little larger that is normal) which means its relatively symmetrical and has slightly notched borders which I "think" have always looked that way. It's on my lower leg and I really have very few other moles, just tiny ones on my back. I measured it a month ago and took a picture and then did the same this month and it looks EXACTLY the same....but in my mind it has slowly grown for years and is now advanced melanoma....yes it breaks all the normal rules for moles but it's also not a new mole and has never changed so my mind is just playing horrible trcisk on me. Regardless I have made an appointment to get it checked out, but don't think I can rest until I hear it's totally fine....ugh

looking4answers
20-04-11, 20:50
I had this same exact worry.I had a mole that developed slowly over ten years and then started getting bigger and changing and it scared me so very bad.It looked like melanoma yet it also looked like something called seborehic kerratosis.I spent days photographing it and comparing size etc etc.. I was convinced my life was over. All this and more went on for over a year. It finally dried up and fell off and to my relief I found out that it wasnt anything but the harmless kerratosis. I also found that things I thought were moles all over me are the samr thing and ver harmless.I just thought I would share my experience with you.

Cali54321
21-04-11, 03:47
Yes, thank you for sharing your experience, this whole thing ....it's making me miserable. I'm trying to get into a derm ASAP b/c I know all I need to hear is that all is well. I can't relax until I do.

A couple weeks ago I had a different fear and trying to convince myself that just b/c I'm now aware of this mole and fear it that it's ALWAYS been there so what are the odds its cancer just b/c I am aware of it ...easier said than done :(