PDA

View Full Version : Help - at work and panicky

jothenurse
22-04-11, 15:48
I'm at work and really panicky. I was light headed and my heart was pounding at home before I went to work. I think my counselor feels it is just an accumulation of anxiety/stress. I am to take an ativan when needed. I rarely take them any more. But, I did take a .25mg (very little dose) and made myself come to work. My heart was fast all the way over driving. A fast heart rate is one of my main symptoms for my panic and I have been checked over many times and EKG's and all were normal. I'm at work now and when I walk, I feel off balance. And my heart will start to go fast when I stand up an have to go some place, then I get light headed. Is this the anxiety/panic? I get scared there is something else wrong with me. I'm at work and really should stay here, but just want to leave. Am scared this is something other than anxiety.

kirsty74
22-04-11, 16:49
Hi Jo
I'm:hugs: sorry you are not feeling ok. I think you know deep down (as we all do!!!) that it IS anxiety. You will feel so good if you manage to stay at work. Easier said than done, but try to ignore it....even laugh at it, at the wobbliness. You ARE ok, you WILL BE ok. Good luck, Jo

jothenurse
22-04-11, 18:15
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.
I am still at work. Have a little less than 4 hours left. I know it is better to stay and just work through it and I usually do.
It just gets so scary when you stand up and you feel light headed and your heart goes faster. I must be very stressed out (I have a very stressful job). I'll just keep telling myself it's anxiety and it's uncomfortable but not dangerous. I sure get tired of dealing with this though, as I'm sure everyone does that has anxiety.
Thanks again.

Chem
22-04-11, 18:32
Hi Jo. I find it helps if I can ground myself in these situations. Lookat an object on your desk - say a pen. Really look at it - colour, shadows, size, what's it made off, how does the point taper off, where does the ink tube go in...... Try to keep your breathing deep and slow.

Use the same technique to move around. Focus on something ahead. Really look at it - size, shape, colour etc. This distracts your mind from panicking and no-one will notice you doing it.

3 and 1/2 hours to go. You can do it!!!

jothenurse
22-04-11, 19:02
Thanks.

missyneptune
22-04-11, 21:35
Hello. My therapist said that if I get anxious I should stop and concentrate on my breathing. A slow deep breath in, hold it for 3 seconds, breath out, hold for 3 seconds. Repeat a few times. Focus on the breath. For example, the way it feels in your nostrils.
What also help is: breath in, clench your fists and release when breathing out. That way you release the tension.
And yes, I also always tell myself that this is just anxiety, that I have been trough this so many times and I always come out as the winner.
You can do it!

jothenurse
22-04-11, 22:42
I made it through work, but I have to say it is getting so difficult making myself go every day. I think my anxiety has gone quite high again. Not sure what has caused it, though I am wondering if my stressful job has something to do with it. I know I have anxiety problems/panic that have nothing to do with my job, but I can't help but wonder if the added stress of a job like I have makes it worse.
Any thoughts?

Tyke
23-04-11, 01:50
Hi Jo

I do find any added stress makes anxiety issues worse. Are there any aspects about your job that you might be able to make less stressful? Could you delegate any of your duties? Would you be able to work in a different area that causes less stress? Do you enjoy the job?

I would imagine that if you were able to reduce the job stress it would calm your 'fight or flight' adrenalin response and you would then find the symptoms would lessen and it would be easier to stick it out at work. I am of the opinion that us sufferers of anxiety/panic cope better the more we can reduce any stress in our lives. We can't always avoid stress, but if we can change what we are able to in order to help us cope better it is well worth doing. What you are going through does sound like a build up of stress and anxiety to me.

Tyke

jothenurse
23-04-11, 01:59
I pretty much have delegated all that I can. Everyone is pretty much maxed out at my job. I am a director of nursing and have a large staff. It's a big facility and we are in a corporation with a lot of high expectations and projects going on. I think I would have the anxiety no matter what job I may have, but this is the most stressful job that I have ever had. I have had other director of nursing positions, but this one is the tops on stress.

ronski
23-04-11, 10:44
Jo yes it is the anxiety but I feel that your body is feeling the strain so fatigue and tiredness are playing there part. A fast heart rate would fatigue you over time and I am sure that the unsteadiness is just your body complaining that it has not the energy resources to cope with you working and the anxiety on top.
Maybe you need to rest a bit more and let some time pass before facing the onslaught again. You know best so all the best and take care

jothenurse
23-04-11, 12:37
Thank you for your reply.
I have looked at other jobs and think about taking a less stressful job. My counselor at this time thinks I should continue in my present job and work through the anxiety while thinking about either a different job or going on in my education.

Lindy
24-04-11, 00:45
Hi Jo, I often feel anxious at work, I hate it, I think the fact I can't leave increases the anxiety. Theres another panic website which offers a pre recorded message that takes you through a breathing exercise, and I find if I take five minutes out to work through that I will feel a lot calmer. Lost my phone a few weeks ago so don't have the number to hand, but send me a pm and I'll look it up :-)

jothenurse
25-04-11, 22:38
Had a huge panic at work today. Everytime I eat something my heart rate goes up (just had some potato chips and cheese). This can be normal for many people. But, I could feel the rate keep going up. I tried to distract myself and stay busy, but it just escalated into a very rapid, pounding heart. I have gotten these many times before. At the beginning of last year I was in the ER several times with them, but they kept saying it was sinus tachycardia due to panic. My EKG's were normal, except fast. So I have worked to try to stay calm when this happens. But today, it just shot up sky high and just pounding out of my chest. I told some people that I was going to go out to do an errand. By the time I got to my car I was in a panic and my heart was pounding out of my chest. I got in the car, took a .5mg ativan and drove down by the lake (which is close to the ER). I was hoping that the distraction of driving and the ativan would calm it down and then I could go back to work. But, it didn't calm. After about a half an hour, it was starting to feel less poundy, but it was still around 130. I ended up going home and then it dropped to in the 80's. Problem is, I don't want to go back to work. I am scared plus there is so much stress at work. My pulse is still around 100 and I'm afraid that it will shoot up again and not sure then what to do. Help.

kirsty74
07-05-11, 18:18
I gave up work after having my son 3 yrs ago. I was signed off work for most of the pregnancy due to severe bleeding. Prior to this I was off sick with the anxiety/panic for a year. I only went back to work for a few weeks between the anxiety & the pregnancy.
When William was born, we decided that as we would only be breaking even if I went back to work, I would be a stay at home mum.
The point to the story is that I really regret that decision. I am now agoraphobic and really struggle getting t olocal shops, let alone out with my son. I think that if I had gone back to work, I would have HAD to go whereas now, if I feel anxious, I stay at home.

I think it's really important to stay at work if you can. I wish I had. Maybe my world wouldn't be so small now if I had. You can do it, Jo. Your heartrate went down when you got home, so you know it IS anxiety. I know you are scared, but I'ot sure giving up work is the answer:hugs:

Thistooshallpass
07-05-11, 23:18
Thank you for your reply.
I have looked at other jobs and think about taking a less stressful job. My counselor at this time thinks I should continue in my present job and work through the anxiety while thinking about either a different job or going on in my education.

Hi Jothenurse :hugs:

I took a stressful job a few years back but have since been happier in a lower paid less stressful one though I still get anxious since I had a bad time in 2009. You are number one at the end of the day and if you think maybe moving to a Managers job may help (depending of course on your outgoings each month) start looking.

I am anxious alot at work but i am sure this is a common theme in alot of workplaces-working in itself is stressful, 9-5, never enough time to relax, having to act OK all the time etc. My experience of it anyway!

Tyke
08-05-11, 00:47
Hi Jo - wonder if it would help if you tried not to be so anxious about the actual measurement of your heart rate? Could you accept that it is fast due to stress, but not actually make note of its speed? Reason why I say this is that I have high blood pressure and worrying about it makes it higher. I suffer badly from 'white coat syndrome' meaning it soars when I know I'm about to have it read by a medic. Before they even get the cuff on I start worrying intensely about how high it is going to be. I think you may well add to your hearts speed by stressing out over its actual measurement and comparing it.

Tyke

Anxious_gal
08-05-11, 01:08
Tkyes right the more you worry about your heart the faster it gets.
I know your scared , but you are being irrational over your heart.
i know too it feels awful, that the fear and symptoms you experience are real.
i sometimes get chest pains too and they are scary, I do get scared but I also accept that chances are that I'm over reacting, it's CBT thats helped me with this.

I think your doing so well by going to work, I'm sure every second is hard for you :hugs:

Do you get dizzy and lightheaded with yours? I'm struggling a bit at the moment wit that. When I get dizzy i check my heart rate and it does be 130.
most of the time I'm ok with the fast heart rate, it's the dizziness that scares me.
I got it real bad in town today I felt light headed,weak and a bit disorientated, BUT for some reason I stuck in there and thankfully it did pass.
that always a good lesson to learn, that you can feel awful and scared but it will pass x x

Willbrand
08-05-11, 08:10
hi,like mishel i always feel dizzy and lightheaded lately.. sharp chest pains too specially when im anxious...its hard i use to be active playing baskeball but now im always afraid that i would get a heart attack or something when i play.. run a lot of test all came back normal but theres always something in my head thats keeps telling me that they might me wrong or missed something..and everyday i get a new symptoms like headache , tingling sensations and twitches.. etc.

Martin Burridge
08-05-11, 09:55
The easiest way to tell if its a panic attack or something physical is whether there is an urge to flee or leave the situation. If there is an urge to flee then its panic. Of course as I tell all my clients you should always be checked over by a doctor. If the GP has given you the all clear and you are getting the urge to flee then you can rest assured its panic which is unpleasant but harmless.