PDA

View Full Version : Princess Sparkle Finally Rides In!

Princess Sparkle
22-04-11, 19:46
Hi All!

I'm Princess Sparkle and, although I've been visiting the No More Panic website and forums for well over a year now, I didn't have the courage to sign up as a member until today. Up until this week, I'd been trying to push my problems to the back of my mind, in the hope that if I ignored them they would go away. But that's not working anymore, so I've decided to tackle my problems head-on instead!

I suffer from anxiety, which I can trace back to an incident ten years ago which seriously shook me up and resulted in me having panic attacks and certain phobias for a few years afterwards. I ended up being quite depressed and was referred for counselling, but I decided to handle things myself instead and I managed to pull myself out of it and get back on top of things.

For a few years after that I was okay. But I've been a worrier my whole life and, little by little, my anxiety has crept into my life again over the last five years or so. At first, I was only experiencing problems every now and then. But since late last year, my anxiety has been getting worse and I've decided it's time I did something about it.

I don't suffer from regular panic attacks anymore - my last one was over a year ago and I'm hoping they stay away. My main problems now are health anxiety and what I think is a form of OCD, with obsessive thoughts that increase my general anxiety (mostly health-related thoughts or worries about accidentally injuring myself or someone else). At the moment, this is all self-diagnosed and I am struggling along without getting professional help (the thought of doing so makes me even more anxious), although I am considering going to see my doctor to ask about a possible referral for counselling.

However, I finally told two members of my family about my problems this week and that has been such a relief - just to have someone close to me who knows what I am going through. They don't completely understand and they've admitted themselves that they don't know the best way to advise me, but just to have them willing to listen to my fears is a great help.

I've beaten my anxiety in the past and I hope to do so again sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I am still struggling on with my life as normal and keeping up appearances for the outside world. I've found the No More Panic forums a great source of advice and information in the past, even though I haven't been an active member here. Now I've finally signed up, I hope to be able to interact more, both giving and receiving support to my fellow forum members.

If you've taken the time to read all of this post, thank you (but you really didn't have to) and I hope to see you around the forum soon! :)

nomorepanic
22-04-11, 19:47
Hi Princess Sparkle

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
22-04-11, 21:26
Hi PS, welcome aboard! Im ten years in with panic and anx, I know where youre coming from. Youll find lots of help and support here.xTake care, Paula x:welcome:

fifeboy66
23-04-11, 11:58
Hi there.

You have taken the first brave step to getting help. Thanks for sharing your story. I have tried to deal with my anxieties myself over the years but you need to talk to others and get professional help. I feel so much better talking to trusted friends and my doctor has been great. you will always get support on here if you are having a bad day.

Best of luck

Dave

Princess Sparkle
23-04-11, 15:47
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

I try to always keep my problems in perspective (I know there are people a lot worse off than me) and look on the bright side where possible and, for the most part, I am able to lead a normal life without too many problems. Like most people, I have good days and bad days with my anxiety - today is probably somewhere in between.

It's the battle inside my head that's starting to get me down though - I may look fine on the outside, but on the inside my mind is churning with worry. And that's what I'm going to try to tackle head-on. I don't want to just get through each day - I want to enjoy life. And if anxiety is going to stop me from doing that, then I'm just going to have to stop that anxiety in its tracks! :D

notfeelingconfident
23-04-11, 21:42
A nice thing to know is that there are so many treatments and techniques out there in the world to reduce your anxiety! You just have to believe that and keep on trying new things, maybe even see it as a bit of an adventure (if possible!).

I think some people get cornered with their anxiety. Entrapped from making any further progress. This is hard to break out of but if you can be outgoing enough just to be able to keep sampling new techniques/methods then you increase the odds in hitting the jack pot!!

Take your time though and do things at your own comfortable pace.

Lindy
23-04-11, 23:15
Hi there, just wanted to say that a lot of those symptoms sound familiar! I guess we must be in the right place:)