PDA

View Full Version : Diazapam advice

brit
22-04-11, 21:10
Hi, i have been prescribed Diazapam 2mg by my gp for severe anxiety.
I have just got my 2nd box of 14 pills (the first 14 lasted me 2 weeks) and i find they do help.
Ive just come of Fluoxetine which i think (hope!) is causing the severe panic attacks so will hopefully not last long.
My concern is getting hooked on the Diazapam - how long does it take to become dependent? How will i know if im getting hooked on them?

Sorry if i sound silly, im just paranoid about getting into even more trouble.
Thanks

Lizzyg
22-04-11, 22:38
I took diazapam for about a month and was fine did not get hooked at all. You are on a small dose like I was. I started anti depressents so they took over from the diazepam. If you need them take them the doctor would not have prescribed them if he didnt think you needed them.

brit
22-04-11, 22:48
Thanks Lizzy.
I'm only really taking 1 at night, i have been having to take Propanolol during the day but thats not really working so well so i might have to take a Diazapam during the day.

I have noticed that the first few i took really zonked me out, now i dont feel as doped but the anxiety does decrease a fair amount.
I'm using them only when i feel i really have to though, so hopefully i'll be ok.
Thanks again, its nice to have some reassurance.
:)

kt23
24-05-11, 03:30
Its after a few months normally and on higher dosages sow I don't think you'll need to worry

VickiS
28-05-11, 08:52
2mg a day isn't much so you should be fine for a while although youll find that the initial effect it had on you weres off as you be become tolerable to you

Good luck, they worked for me for a while

LaneCash
05-06-11, 19:14
Hi brit;823564
I am on Diazepam right now for anxiety. I was prescribed 10mg 3 times a day as needed. I've on and off it before and have learned alot on how to use it and then how to discontinue it.
Your on the lowest dose (2mg) and if you are gonna stay on Diazepam try to stay on the lowest possible dose if that works for you.
As far as dependancy, everyone is different, but I can tell you that if you take it every day for an extended period of time and then try to stop taking it, you will have withdrawal symptoms. If you can? Try to keep it as an occasional use as much as possible. Since its one of the longest half-life benzodiapines, it will keep working for a longer time than many of the other types.
If you see yourself thinking you can't go without it, then try to gradually stop taking it, I mean gradually, too. Its not a drug that should be stopped abruptly.
I don't know if this helps, but I hope it does.
You ask me more about it if you feel you want to.
OK?
Sincerely
LaneCash

Hi, i have been prescribed Diazapam 2mg by my gp for severe anxiety.
I have just got my 2nd box of 14 pills (the first 14 lasted me 2 weeks) and i find they do help.
Ive just come of Fluoxetine which i think (hope!) is causing the severe panic attacks so will hopefully not last long.
My concern is getting hooked on the Diazapam - how long does it take to become dependent? How will i know if im getting hooked on them?

Sorry if i sound silly, im just paranoid about getting into even more trouble.
Thanks

vix73
08-07-11, 00:26
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have just been prescribed 2mg diazapam too, twice a day. I have only been taking them 3 days so i am not sure if they are helping yet. Like you i was really worried about becoming addicted to them and also about side affects ( i don't like taking medication to start with ) but after reading some of these replies i don't feel so worried as it seems 2mg is the lowest dose. It is not stupid to think that way, i felt the same and sat there looking at the box for an hour before plucking up the courage to take it!
Vix

shandy
12-07-11, 23:25
mine really help me but i take them in emergencies then thyre safe

lincolnkate
13-07-11, 07:07
I have citalopram and diazepam, I really just want something I can take in emergency situations really, not everyday long term. I had diazepam a while ago for a trapped nerve and they really relaxed me! i have 14 2mg tabs from my docs to take if needed. Are these the sort of tablets you can just take for a quick relief?? hope so coz I feel this would help me at the height of my anxiety attacks when I am out.( have not taken the citalopram) thanks:hugs:

Stezzle
28-07-11, 12:32
I have citalopram and diazepam, I really just want something I can take in emergency situations really, not everyday long term. I had diazepam a while ago for a trapped nerve and they really relaxed me! i have 14 2mg tabs from my docs to take if needed. Are these the sort of tablets you can just take for a quick relief?? hope so coz I feel this would help me at the height of my anxiety attacks when I am out.( have not taken the citalopram) thanks:hugs:

I am on 20mg of Citalopram and i was prescribed 2mg of Diazepam as i was a bridesmaid and felt i wouldnt be able to cope. Now i've realised that Diazepam is great for when i have a attack and when i am unable to cope using CBT methods. However, i am due to do a festival in 2 weeks and i am scared to death that i will have a horrid experiences, even thinking about it all as made my anxiety flare up to the worst that it can. I would like a regular prescription on 2mg Diazepam but least time i went for just two tablets i was told not to come back for more as i wouldnt get them. But i feel by having the Diazepam to use when i felt over whelmed and unable to cope would improve my quality of life would greatly and i wouldnt have to get so stressed or upset when i felt over whelmed and that i wouldnt need to lose friends or make excuses why i cant go to certain big events at the less min.
I was just wondering how you are getting them prescribed regularly? Maybe i just have a horrid doctor.

michaelp
01-08-11, 12:10
Many GPs in the UK seem to be pretty paranoid about benzos. They are also stuck with dealing with addicted patients of many years standing.
Benzos were thought to be some wonder drug to replace barbiturates, and were grossly and inappropriately over presecribed for DECADES! This led to much harm - and the largest class action in British legal history. This action stopped when legal aid was withdrawn.
There is a more balanced view of these drugs in other countries.
NICE guidelines are that they should only be used for three weeks (at a time!)
Benzos were never those wonder drugs, but I personally do not believe they are the Devil incarnate either.
They are on the WHO essential drugs list for a basic health care system.
You need a GP that knows about mental health care, or a Psychiatrist.
Or just go back and demand it!
My Psych didn't think my 5mg or so per day was a problem. He said it's dose escalation (to 45mg/day etc) that is the problem.

decca
01-08-11, 18:04
I've taken 2mg Diaz. per day for three years,don't feel the need to increase them at all.