PDA

View Full Version : Breathing in Kitchen Anti Bacterial Spray

peter34uk
24-04-11, 10:47
Hi,

I been cleaning the kitchen this morning and used Sainsbury's antibacterial spray cleaner.

I used quite a bit of it on my kitchen worktops and walls and although my mouth was totally closed ive obviously breathed a bit of the spray through my nose.

After I finished ive looked at the container and it says use in well ventilated areas and do not breath in.

Contains Benzalkonium Chloride.

Do not breath spray.

What you guys think? I be okay?

peter34uk
24-04-11, 11:36
Looked it up and it contains:

Aqua
Benzalkonium Chloride
C12 - 15 Aliphatic Alcohol Ethoxylate 7 - 8EO (Chemical Name)
Tetrasodium EDTA
Trisodium HEDTA
Parfum
Aqua
Citric Acid
Sodium Hydroxide

Im real worried now, though i actually feel fine and its been an hour since.

peter34uk
24-04-11, 17:10
anyone?

mercer88
24-04-11, 17:15
The only reason they say to use in a well ventilated area is because usually such sprays can give off chlorine.

Inhalation of large amounts or high concentrations of chlorine gas can damage the lungs. However using household sprays and cleaners usually causes no harm whatsoever and the warning is only there as an ar*e covering exercise for the manufacturer.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about, if those types of cleaners were capable of causing serious harm through normal use they would not be allowed to sell them, and you say yourself that you're feeling fine. So be happy in the knowledge that you're ok, your cleaner is safe and you can continue using it in the future with no negative consequences.

Hope this helps.

uk23
25-04-11, 00:45
I have breathed in a lot of bleach before and most days I inhale Dettol. I wouldnt worry.

Taffy
25-04-11, 17:17
Peter34uk...

Don't worry mate...I've breathed in a lot worse than kitchen spray in my time! Sure all those ingredients won't do you any good but in those concentrations you've got absolutley nothing to worry about.

Relax and enjoy your clean and shiny kitchen! :)