PDA

View Full Version : Swollen ankles with a red rash

Trish
24-04-11, 11:38
Wondering if anyone can help me if you have had this.

With the beautiful weather we have been having and having been on my feet quite a lot over the past few days my ankles started to swell, I have had this before during hot weather so i was not overly concerned.

On Thursday & the early hours of Friday I had spent a lot of time on my feet and began to feel my ankles starting to swell, I managed to get a few hours sleep and woke up with a red rash on the inside of my ankles, more on my left than my right. The rash is flat and looks blotchy. I woke up this morning with the rash still there and my feet are still slightly puffy and a odd tingling feeling to them:huh:

Any help would be great:)
Trish x

mercer88
24-04-11, 17:29
Sounds like textbook heat rash to me. Nothing to worry about.

shoegal
25-04-11, 00:09
Hi. Could this be water retention (oedema)? As well as swelling or puffiness of the skin, water retention can cause skin discolouration, fluid-filled areas of skin that temporarily hold the imprint of your finger when pressed (known as pitting oedema), aching limbs and stiff joints, weight gain or weight loss and raised blood pressure. Sometimes water retention is caused by an underlying condition, but it can also be caused by hot weather. If you are suffering from water retention your GP may recommend some simple self-care techniques to reduce the build-up of fluid in your body, such as reducing your salt intake, losing weight (if you are overweight) and raising your legs three to four times a day to improve your circulation. Drugs called diuretics may be prescribed to reduce the build-up of fluid in your tissues if necessary.

My friend gets swolen ankles in hot weather because she suffers from water retention which is why I thought of it when I read your post.