PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety high

jothenurse
24-04-11, 17:26
Happy Easter.
I just got back from Church and just wonder if other people experience some of the symptoms I had. There were a lot more people in Church and I had a few people behind me. I usually like to be in the back by the door. I was very panicky through the whole service. Kept feeling lightheaded and wondering if I was going to faint or if this was just the adrenaline. Heart started pounding, then slowed down. But just feeling really spacey and lightheaded. Do you get this? I wanted to leave, but stayed. Now I feel exhausted and shakey. My heart is still a little fast. Just wondering if other people have this and is it just the anxiety? Any ideas on how to make this easier?

mercer88
24-04-11, 17:41
When my anxiety was very bad I had a lot of social anxiety issues. I always liked to sit near to exits and did not like going out. I used to get the exact same feelings (feeling lightheaded, unusual heart rhythm, and particularly the 'spacey' feeling etc.) when I was in areas with lots of people e.g. shops, on buses. I even used to get it walking past individual people in the street at night.

I think it's a perfectly normal symptom of anxiety. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how to make it easier but, being able to recognise it as an anxiety symptom should at least provide you with some reassurance next time it occurs.

snowgoose
24-04-11, 17:47
Hi Jo:)

oh hell yes ....you described your feelings just like mine . but hey :flowers:.......you stayed and got through it .
I get this every time I go anywhere .all the symptoms you describe .......awful .

my strategy is to start counting things and focus on people and the little things around me . I hope the vicar excuses my inattention :blush:.
I keep my keys in my pocket and fiddle with them .....cos they are metal they are cold and I focus on the texture ..sounds mad I know .
we need to feel grounded dont we? so count or examine someones hat in detail etc ...........and always have a cold bottle of water at hand Jo.
the sensation of really cold water going down throat is comforting and helps the breathing ...somehow it slows it down for me .
my keys are my comforter ...........you take care Jo .
I wonder if you need some time off from your stressful work ?
to care ............you need to be cared for ..............you must look after your own needs too. :hugs:

jothenurse
24-04-11, 18:17
Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it.

hamster lady
24-04-11, 19:23
Hi Jo and Happy Easter to you too! I know exactly how you feel about feeling panicky in that sort of situation. I had to go to a family get together today and I coped OK for a while but when I got into conversation with people I felt trapped and my heart started pounding! I just thought to myself that it is just adrenaline but it is so hard to get your heart to stop pounding and racing once it has started! I start worrying that I'm going to faint or have a heart attack in front of people! Once we got into the car to come home I felt better but sometimes when I've been out somewhere my heart can feel poundy for hours!

It was brilliant that you managed to stay through the whole service, you should be so pleased with yourself!:yesyes: Sometimes when I feel really panicky I try and concentrate hard on something in the room our outside usually I can get myself out of panicking if I do that. I usually feel utterly exhausted after I have been out somewhere, I even felt panicky when we all went out to the beach the other day, I normally really enjoy it! I keep hoping that things will get easier the more I go out and do things and face my anxiety but it is so exhausting. I hope you feel better soon.:flowers:

jothenurse
24-04-11, 21:33
Thanks again for your replies. A couple of months ago I had made some good progress with the anxiety. I was still very scared about the racing heart, but was going out and doing things and of course I have my job. The last month or so my anxiety has climbed. Not sure why. My Mom's birthday was this month and of course Easter today. My Mom passed away last August and I have missed her so much. I live by myself. My son is close by and I see and/or talk to him every day which helps a lot. Not sure why my anxiety is high, but I know when I went through this 30 some years ago, it will go up and down. I have trouble with my potassium level so had to start taking potassium pills about a month ago and I think that has scared me. They think it has to do with my irritable bowel. I know I shouldn't let that bother me, but it does. I think when our anxiety climbs we get scared about it instead of just knowing that this is normal and just try to relax.