PDA

View Full Version : Fear of all things medical!

joanna1994
24-04-11, 22:25
Hi I am convinced that I suffer with some kind of anxiety disorder.
However one of my biggest phobias is of all things medical - doctors, hospitals and anything related to them.

I have always had this since I was a child! Does anyone have this phobia and has it stopped them from going to see a doctor?

Because at the moment my fear is so bad that whenever ive booked appointments, ive got into a nervous wreck beforehand and had to cancel the appointment.

Any advice?
Thanks x

lilostitch
25-04-11, 13:07
hmm i have a major fear of needles ....and i mean like major...i really freak out when i see the sight of one...also i have a fear of appointments...especially job interviews..I find myself looking for ways to avoid them or delay them.

joanna1994
25-04-11, 13:14
yeah im also like that as well
and needles ...urgh just the word makes me feel ill!

Mandarra
19-05-11, 20:00
Hi, I have a major major fear of all things medical. I am a complete wreck right now because I had to schedule a yearly doctors appointment for routine blood work and now that I'm in my fifties, I probably need to go for a routine colonoscopy. I am stressing every day, my appointment is on the 31st. I need to medicate myself just to get there, then I hang on every word the doctor says and sweat profusely. I can't even drive by a medical building without getting heart racing. What to do.:unsure:

Zee
19-05-11, 20:57
Me too.. Needlephobic and all things medical.. I was ok until 11 years ago and went on a simple matter to see GP. He ordered FBC because I hadnt had one in many years.. idea of the needle first threw me and then waiting for results I went into overdrive and that caused my very first health anxiety.. I was fine after I got over it and then year ago, went to GP about a sinus issue.. Again he ordered FBC after an 11 year gap!! I freaked totally and have been struggling with HA since then even though FBC were exellent results.