PDA

View Full Version : coping mechanisms?

Budgie
25-04-11, 11:27
HI there :) :hugs:

One thing I really dislike about anxiety is the way that sometimes, I will just get worries stuck in my mind and its like they completely take over everything I am trying to do day to day. I went to have CBT last year, which I found helpful, although I have to work hard to keep 'topping uo' what I learned in those sessions, and keep my anxiety levels from overspilling.

I was wondering if anyone here has got some coping mechanisms that they would like to share, as I'm willing to try anything to work with my panic! :yesyes:

One thing that has COMPLETELY taken over at the moment is relating to an hospital appointment I have got tomorrow. Its not so much the appointment itself that I am getting into such a state about, its a few things relating to it:

My appointment is at 3.30pm, and my work have said I need to stay until around 2.30pm before setting off (its related to hours they need me to work and stuff, I think). Then, I am going to have to drive on the motorway to somewhere I haven't driven to before - the thought of leaving the motorway at the correct junction and dealing with that is quite anxious for me. Then, trying to park at the busy hospital is something thats plaguing me :blush:
, as its a bit of a nightmare there, I've seen it whan I've been there on the bus.

I would commute there, but due to work commitments I wouldn't have time, as its rather a way away from where I work. I do enjoy driving, but this is a real unknown and new experience for me! Part of me is excited because if I can do this, then it will be great for my anxiety/panic, but sitting here now, just fretting about it, is making it seem like a mountain (when to everyone else I've spoke about it to sees it as a molehill! :blush: )

Tyke
25-04-11, 12:13
Hi Budgie

I always see if there is anything I can do to make events less traumatic beforehand. For instance as regards your hospital appointment, could you do a test drive, say go down there today while the pressure is off and rehearse the route so that you won't feel so panicky when you have to do it for real with the appointment deadline? As for parking at the hospital - know exactly what you mean, but there again you could have a look beforehand and if it seems like a problem, maybe see if there is somewhere easier on street where you could park within a few minutes walk? These strategies always help me cope as I know I will be anxious, but can reduce it by looking at what my fears are and doing some planning in advance.

Tyke

rainbow dreamer
25-04-11, 16:21
hi there .

well as one of many of my coping tactics this is what i would do in the situation...... i would convince myself that i havnt got to go to the appointment or make that journey if i didnt want to... i would say in my head that it was my choice to go and that there was no pressure about being there at certain times etc.... say to yourself that at anytime if you want to you can come home......

for me the pressure of ' having to go and having a time to be there ' oftern heightens any panic of what you are facing....

the physical stuff you can do is
plan your journey
perhaps take someone with you
know that any unfimiliar road/motorway etc is never far from a place to stop if needed

hope that helps ...i know everybody is different

Budgie
25-04-11, 18:23
Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies and advice :hugs: :D

I was hoping to do a trial run today, although, I went to see some family and ended up staying all day, which was nice :yesyes: I've had a look at a route planner, and I've borrowed my uncle's sat nav, so in a way I do feel a bit more knowledgeable about the journey, even though I haven't physically done it yet.

Plus, I am just mentally telling myself your advice, rainbow dreamer -- about taking the pressure off the situation; I do this a lot when I have to go to the dentist or something like that. Its so bizarre really - I mean, I have this attitude about seeing the doctor tomorrow, and I feel pretty relaxed about all that, so I am just going to try and apply the same philosophy to actually getting there :yesyes:

Thanks so much for your help :hugs:

Philomena
25-04-11, 19:09
Hi Budgie,

You can keep up with your CBT techniques with this link posted by Musse on another thread.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/freedownloads2.htm

Philomena.

rainbow dreamer
27-04-11, 23:15
This whole anxiety stuff is horrible I know and yes very crazy and strange .... I can honestly say it has dominated my life ... Iv had mass panic attacks this week that have set me back months ... It's like you take months to climb the ladder and you progress slowly and feel great and then bamm it take seconds to fall off and end up face down on the floor.. It's a confidence killer... But I just have to pick myself up again and again and start that climb again.. On a positive note when high on the ladder you really do appreciate the small things in life that others don't ... And appreciate stuff others take for granted

marisa11
27-04-11, 23:24
This whole anxiety stuff is horrible I know and yes very crazy and strange .... I can honestly say it has dominated my life ... Iv had mass panic attacks this week that have set me back months ... It's like you take months to climb the ladder and you progress slowly and feel great and then bamm it take seconds to fall off and end up face down on the floor.. It's a confidence killer... But I just have to pick myself up again and again and start that climb again.. On a positive note when high on the ladder you really do appreciate the small things in life that others don't ... And appreciate stuff others take for granted

i agree with the end of what you said, 'we appreciate stuff others take for granted', its so true...i used to complain about my hair being frizzy, or having not many nice clothes, after iv been suffering panic attacks, these things don't even matter, and every achievement i create, i really am happy about them. to even managing to go on a very packed train at rush hour, i feel proud... :) or being able to 'stand' in a packed bus.