PDA

View Full Version : WHEN I GROW UP!!!

Laurie28
25-03-04, 15:18
Hiya Chaps,

Does anyone feel like they don't know what the want to do job/career wise? I am 25 and have worked in offices since I was 16 - I hasd to go to night school and gain my office qualifications (business administation) but I must admit i am bored silly with office work and want to do something different - but what? i can't pack in my job and go to university etc as I can't afford it. I could go to night school but have to pay for it!!!

AAAggghh does anyone else feel like this!!!!????

lucky

Matt
25-03-04, 16:20
Ello! Fellow quater centryun.. hahah

I think its just a general thing... I went to uni now I'm a bit bored.. lol so did a couple of me mates...

But again I cant think of anything else to do so I'm kinda stuck here... Well at least it keeps me warm.. lol

m:)

Rennie1989
25-03-04, 21:24
lucky

im in a simular boat to u, i know what to do for a job (nursin in the NHS) but i donno what options to take coz i donno what they r yet!!! its doin my head in

my mum worked in a post office until she was 25 and she moved to a hospital to study and train to become a nurse, give it ago

Scooter Girl

nomorepanic
25-03-04, 21:36
Lucky

I am bored of IT (computers) but I am good at it so not sure what else to do. I spent years getting a degree to follow a career in IT and now I am bored so I can't do anything else.

I fancy owning a shop but can't afford it - and what would I sell?

My mum suggested going into working with people with panic etc but I am not sure I could do it all day - would stress me out in the end.

So I am stuck in a rut too and looking for something new to do but I still need the wages I get as a computer boff and still have no idea what I could do!

Nicola

Lottie32
25-03-04, 21:39
Lucky

I can't believe you posted this. I was archiving the last few years health and safety audits, when I realised how totally and utterly BORED I am with my job.

I am being serious now - what does everybody else do, what does it involve, and how much do you enjoy it?

I know work is a necessary evil, but surely it can be slightly enjoyable too?????

I was reading an article the other day that said that the happiest people tend to do vocational work, and those with an "intellectual" occupation tent to be the most stressed.

I am organised, and reasonably intelligent, and have the time and money to retrain.

But at 33 I need to do it NOW.

I have thought about some sort of counselling / community nursing type work.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Also, is it a good idea for a "mad" person to take on other peoples angst (particularly when we can't always deal with our own!!!!)

I've got O and A levels, an NVQIII in Business Management, and spent the last thirteen years in administration, running the ISO quality management system, health and safety, environmental management and maintenance for a chemical company.

The only downer is that I would prefer a job where I didn't have to travel!!!!!! (Or not too far or too often to start with)

Please don't anybody mention working with tellies, cos after kids, techie geeks are next on my hit list.

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

sadie
25-03-04, 23:20
Hi all,

I am another person, who has went to uni but never actually found the job to go with it. I have an honours in psychology and would like to do counselling or social work or possibly teaching too but just cant bare to go back to study for a further year or so. I have spent the last 4 years in Management and decided to get out of that last year and now I am a Recruitment Consultant. As you will all see, Im still not doing what I want to do.

I have just been chatting to my friend about this tonight and I feel that I'm quite keen to have a family soon, so I feel I will never get the career I want!!Obviously I will wait until I feel better before I take this step, but hopefully Im not too far away.

How come some people just fall into their dream job and others try all their lifes to get their dream job but never do???

sadie

twister
25-03-04, 23:52
I work in a media agency which I fell into after getting my English degree 5 years ago. I thought it would be great but bores me stupid even though we gets lots of long lunches!

I am doing a BSc Psychology in the evenings at Birkbeck, University of London and I absolutely love it. I go two nights a week, going up to three nights next year. It is £850 a year so it is affordable. I am hoping to do a PHD after and then probably go into research/lecturing.

For all that are bored, definitely worth getting out and doing something else. It has given me a new lease of life knowing that in a few years time (4!) I will be out of media FOREVER! I used to panic at the thought of being stuck there till I retired....

Emily

Laurie28
26-03-04, 09:14
Hiya,

my problem is i really don't know what i want to be!!!! I have thought about the counselling route but really don't feel I would be any good at it!!!! and not ready for something like that

I just don't know at all!!!!

Lucky

sadie
26-03-04, 21:19
Lucky,

I wouldn't jump into doing anything at the moment if your not 100% sure what it is you want to do. Maybe, some voluntary work would be good first of all to test the water, that way you can stop if you feel it isnt what you want to do.I did this a few years back...I thought I wanted to be a primary school teacher so I volunteered at my local primary school for 1 year. I did enjoy it but realised it wasnt whatI wanted to do afterall. Just a thought.

Take care

sadie

nomorepanic
27-03-04, 19:34
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

Please don't anybody mention working with tellies, cos after kids, techie geeks are next on my hit list.

Does that mean I am next on the hit list Charlie [:0][:p]:)

Nicola

Rennie1989
27-03-04, 21:23
Hiya guys!!!

I was gonna make a new topic but i thought 'NA!!!' but this topic is the same to what i wanna say.

Next month im gonna be choosing what i wanna do in yr 10 for my GCES and now i know what to do!!!

We have to do english science and maths but i want to do:
history (i got a letter from the skool and me should be taking that for GCES)
chemistry
ICT
bioligy

I supposed u guessed what i wanna do, nursing in the NHS, not bad eh

Only a few mounths left untill i stop doin all the crap lessons, lol

Scooter Girl

Laurie28
29-03-04, 12:09
Thanks Sadie,

I think I might try volunteering for something. My problem is time - with working all day and the kids at night I could just abnout manage a home study course but getting out and about can be difficult.

Excuses excuses eh

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
31-03-04, 19:53
Nic

Unless you go to work wearing co-ordinating novelty cufflinks, tie and socks, call everybody matey, and pace backwards and forwards whilst talking at 3million decibels on your mobile, then NO of course I don't include you in this.

For some reason, only MEN techies are blo**y annoying.

Girl techies can have a conversation for longer than 5 mins without mentioning mega ram giga driver laser data inputter discs, whilst trying to look cool, cos they have some technical knowledge.

If i every have to spend more than half an hour with one of these creatures (which I don't, cos I avoid them like the plague) then I am going to present a double bridle (in pieces) and say if you're that technical minded, put that back together properly!!!!!

Love

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

sadie
31-03-04, 20:14
Hi Lucky,

I know what you mean about trying to find time to do things..I find that too and I dont have any kids yet!! However, voluntary work means you can do as much or as little as you can fit in because afterall, your helping a social group or whatever without being paid. I have always found that volunteers are never pushed into doing anything without your consent.

Otherwise, you could do a home study course to learn new skills etc. Its never too late to learn new skills and change your job, Im thinking about doing it too! Although I would like to have a family soon too so maybe I will wait until after that.

Oh decisions, decisions or should I say excuses, excuses!!

sadie

Meg
31-03-04, 20:49
what happened to the piano playing plans Sadie ?

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

nomorepanic
31-03-04, 21:22
Charlie - thanks mate - I feel better now. I am one woman in a team of 10 so I can cope with them all. I do all the work anyway - lol.

Sadie - you learning to play? Check this out - www.mismatch.co.uk/piano.htm Turn the sound up - lol.

Nicola

twister
31-03-04, 21:27
that is so cute Nicola!!!!!

Emily

sadie
31-03-04, 21:43
Nic, I have tried several times to install the Java machine thing but somehow its not working!! Will try again.

Meg, I haven't forgot about learning to play the piano..I will do it eventually, promise!!

sadie

nomorepanic
04-04-04, 19:21
Em

Thanks - I can't play it now cos I never practiced enough. Still got the piano though - it is lovely to have.

Sadie - you just need to enable java - under options in the Internet Explorer window.

Nicola