PDA

View Full Version : Change of trade name for meds

bazwelsh
26-04-11, 08:24
:wacko: I've had a new prescription from the doctors but the chemist that I went to (Boots) have given me Lustral. I presumed they were all the same for Sertraline, but my anx and panic have been slightly raised since taking them. Has this happened to anyone else and has it settled down?

I'm back at work today after the Easter hols and so I can't decide if that's a contributing factor....although I'm o.k. at work because it's familiar to me.....

thanks

dread
26-04-11, 18:51
Sometimes manufacturers of drugs use different coatings on their tablets, whilst the chemical makeup is the same. It's possible that the coating is having adverse affects, but it's not generally acknowledged as a cause for them. It should settle down, and if not you may want to try asking your GP to put on your notes/prescription a particular brand, or ask your pharmacy what brand they have available before you hand it in.
I had a similar thing with citalopram - theres one paritcular manufacturer i can't use, as it gives me shaky hands, but I am fine with the rest.

Also, chances are if you're back at work, you're anxiety is going to be heightened.
Both should pass either way :)

haz
27-04-11, 01:15
I take Lustral as opposed to Sertraline. My GP writes out my prescription for "Lustral". I first started taking a generic brand of sertraline in hospital, this was then changed to a another (presumably even cheaper) brand which made my nausea worse and I didn't feel it worked as well. For this reason I filled out a "Yellow Card" which is form sent to the government I think listing any unwanted side effects from a particular brand of drug.

I find Lustral more sedating, which is a good thing for me. Lustral is the original brand of sertraline and is much more expensive than the generic brands.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards.

Haz. x

bazwelsh
27-04-11, 09:34
Thanks for your replies.

I do feel more sickly but I'm hoping it will pass....mornings seem to be the time I've noticed the difference with the higher level of anxiety, but same again I'm hoping it's just short term and it'll wear off.

Have a good day xx