PDA

View Full Version : Something stuck in throat or back of mouth sensation.

Catalyst
26-04-11, 21:51
I've had this really annoying sensation for about 4 weeks now. I first became aware of it when I was cleaning my teeth - when I went to spit, it felt like there was something at the back of my mouth that I needed to clear. But there was nothing there. Since then I've been noticing the same type of sensation daily (but not continuously throughout each day). It doesn't feel like a lump as such - more like something small is caught there, like a popcorn husk or bit of coconut. It's fairly central. I thought maybe it was an ulcer at the very back of my tongue, but I can't see anything and besides, an ulcer should have cleared up by now anyway. :shrug:

I was browsing some online posts (yeah, I know!) and came across one where someone said they felt like popcorn was stuck in their throat and it later turned out to be a malignant tumour. :weep: So, of course, now I'm really worried as the popcorn thing is quite specific and it's just how mine feels. I'm only 34, but I know someone who was diagnosed with throat cancer in his 20s, so that doesn't reassure me. I also suffer heartburn, but don't think that that would case a scratchy stuck feeling in my throat? Oh & my glands are currently swollen (but only since 3 days ago - not the whole 4 weeks.) Going to try and see the doctor tomorrow, but it's so busy there at the moment, what with all the bank hols...

Catalyst
27-04-11, 08:53
Managed to get an appointment this morning at 10.40am. :yesyes:

AllInMyHead
27-04-11, 09:01
Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine, but hopefully you'll feel better after some professional reassurance.

Let us know how you get on x

Catalyst
27-04-11, 13:05
Thank you! Well, the doctor had a look and all he could see was a sore patch where I may have had a scratch that has got a bit infected and so isn't healing. So I've got a course of antibiotics, to see if that clears it up and if not I've been told to go back. So here's hoping the tablets sort it out! (I'll try not to focus on the fact that it didn't work for the poster I was reading about before.)

PanchoGoz
27-04-11, 13:06
Good move, glad you are seeing a gp! It might be a scratch from some sharp food you have eaten; throat scratches tend to swell and it feels like something is stuck there. I'm sure it will be ok.
And No. More. Googling. You naughty naughty person. Give yourself a smack ;)

EDIT: we posted at the same time so I hadn't seen your recent post so ^^ doesn't apply anymore - sorry. Glad its ok x

Catalyst
27-04-11, 13:25
Thanks! And the "no more googling" part still applies! I should know better by now! X

Cameron1
01-09-13, 14:12
I have the same problem and I'm thirteen any suggestions? :shrug:

Fishmanpa
01-09-13, 15:37
I've posted this info several times.

I'm an oral cancer survivor. Typically, in most cases of oral cancer (BOT, throat, tonsil, oropharynx etc.), there are no symptoms. When they do manifest themselves, the disease would be pretty far along and would be very noticeable to a doctor or ENT. In my case, as in many cases, the only symptom is a painless swollen lymph node that doesn't respond to antibiotics.

Oral cancers are also slow growing cancers so symptoms such as a sore or scratchy throat, ear pain, difficulty swallowing etc. don't suddenly come on nor do they come and go.

One cannot diagnose OC via symptoms or photos. A trained ENT experienced in oral cancers can usually tell with a examination and/or scope. Only a biopsy of a suspicious area, lesion or lymph node can definitively diagnose OC.

Issues in the mouth such as sores, irritations, cuts etc. take time to heal due to the environment. At 4 months post treatment, I still have issues swallowing and soreness due to the surgeries and treatment.

Be patient, take your antibiotics and contact the doctor if the symptoms don't resolve within a week of ending the drug therapy. And don't worry! Your symptoms don't present themselves as cancer at all ;)

JuniorMcG1987
06-09-13, 08:45
Morning catalyst,

I've been suffering from the exact same symptom for the past week or so,
I'm no doctor but I believe it is anxiety related,
I started off with heart palpitations, got over that then it changed to heart flutters, eye twitching, hand twitching and now to this lump in my throat, like you mines comes and goes
Throughout the day I try not to think about it and I reassure myself it is just my anxiety trying to attack me from another angle :) I'm 25 male good around health, hope this helps you knowing there is others out there with the same so try not to think about it (easier said than done I know)

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

Also meant to mention over the past week I've had rather bad toothache due to my wisdom teeth and I have a slight abscess on my cheek/jaw so not sure if its related although I did notice as I was reading fishmanpa's post I actually felt the lump in my throat coming on which suggests to me it is anxiety related, just try make yourself at ease knowing its not going to harm you :)

Speranza
06-09-13, 14:10
It can be from acid caused by anxiety.