PDA

View Full Version : Hello

JSE
01-05-11, 11:32
Hello Everyone,

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression since I was about 15 (now 21). I have tried all kinds of therapies, drugs, and techniques with varying degrees of success. I have joined the forum to hopefully offer some advice to fellow suffers as I feel I have learnt a great deal about the subject.

I am also currently on a 'recovery plan' (probably my 100th different plan to change myself...). Although this plan is quite different because it involves acceptance rather than change. I am pursuing a self taught programme of mindfulness. Maybe I can convince others to look into this rather brilliant philosophy.

Anyway, I won't go on. I look forward to bumping into you all around the forum!

diane07
01-05-11, 11:34
Hi JSE

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

theoldcorner
01-05-11, 13:32
Hi there, How does the mindfulness programme work in practice?

paula lynne
01-05-11, 13:57
Welcome, nice to have you with us x
:welcome:

JSE
01-05-11, 17:36
Hi there, How does the mindfulness programme work in practice?

Hi,

The Mindfulness programme has become a part of my life over the last 2 months. At first I didn't feel it made much difference, and the time you have to dedicate can seem overwhelming at first. But I have slowly begun to notice that ruminating thoughts have a shorter life span, which is something I never achieved before! I am also generally more relaxed and the physical symptoms of anxiety seem to be much less annoying (particularly IBS).

I don't know how much you know about the mindfulness philosophy. Basically in practice what you do is meditate daily in a non spiritual way. This involves focusing intently upon your feelings and thoughts. You don't engage with the thoughts or feelings, just be aware of them. Yes I can tell you that this is obviously a lot harder than it sounds. Mindfulness also can be incorporated into your whole day. Everything you do can be done mindfully. For example, when you eat your food, you can tune into the taste, smells etc. Over a period of time, you gradually become more focused on the present. Which allows you to leave behind a lot of the worries about the past and future (which generate so many anxieties). But also it seems to make you less bothered by thoughts and feelings. It is a process of accceptance. I am giving this a chance because I am bored of always trying to fight the problems, maybe that is just making it worse! I am only a beginner in mindfulness, so I will see how this all turns out.

I suggest you look into it. There have been lots of studies to back it up. But if you do, don't make my initial mistake of trying to see it as a wonder cure. It takes a lot of patience.