PDA

View Full Version : Just want to feel like my old self again

jelly flash
02-05-11, 15:41
Hey everyone :)

A few weeks ago I had a huge panic attack that just (seemingly) came out of the blue. I'll go back to that in a sec. Prior to the panic attack I was going through bouts of weird sleep cycles, where i'd go through phases of having these great deep sleeps (though slightly scary), and then not feeling as if i'd had any sleep at all as I would get these really bad heart palpitations and it prevented me from sleeping properly. I had also been waking up throughout the night due to pins and needles, though I accept that I was probably just leaning on the nerves. Once or twice i was also having pins and needles in my legs when lying down normally on my back and it wouldnt go away entirely, but this has not been a regular occurance at all, only once and twice and i remmeber because of how uncomfortable it was.

The night of my panic attack I felt completely relaxed. I was trying to sleep, I felt really calm. Then as I was in that stage where I was about to drift off into sleep My heart started POUNDING and then I could also feel a POUNDING pulse at the back on my head, felt light headed and as if I was about to pass out/my brain/heart was about to 'explode' and stop. I felt as if I was about t die. I rang for an ambulance and manage to get to them even though i felt so ill.
My heart rate/pulse was 140, my temp was 37.9 and my blood sugars were 7.7. Cant remember what my blood pressure was, but I usually have a low blood pressure (90 over 60). The ambulance people were lovely and it was concluded i was having a panic attack and thy stayed with me and after i calmed down i was shaking for a while but I then went back into the house. I hadn't experienced this before.

After that I didnt sleep for 3 days because everytime i tried i started begining to have that episode as described above again. I was having these weird head sensations. I would get a bit of pounding. then I would get tingling sensations. then I would get numbness.
Ever since then i've not been sleeping well, ive been having to have lights and tv on in the background to distract myself so i ca eventually sleep. I cant sleep naturally, I cant sleep until my body is just totally zonked out.

I have been better over the last week, but in the last couple days Its been getting bad again. The numbing sensation in my head is back, and i nearly had a full blown panic attack again the other night with palpitations and i woke my sister up because i was so scared. Last night i couldnt sleep for ages and all of a suddenly i started shaking uncontrollably on the left side of my body (but then the right would join in, but not anywhere near the strength of the left side). My jaw was shaking as well. Eventually it stopped but it was horrible as it was quite powerful. I have also been drinking a ridiculous amount the last couple days and have felt extremely dehydrated and urinating a lot. my apetitite has decreased a bit. I did get some sleep last night though.

I have been worried that i have a brain tumour or something, and its very hard to keep rationale about things. I havent felt as if im stressing. I do have essays and exams coming up (btw im 20), but i dont personally think im stressed about them, and if anything all this anxiety is making be stressing about them because i cant revise or write my work up because i just dont feel 'right' in my brain.
I have taken some paracetamol today and my head still feels numb.

Im really getting myself into a bit of a state. I have classes starting up again and i dont want to go in. Its starting to get a hold of me. You'd think with all this anxiety id have missed my periods but they are stil arriving, right on time, and so that makes me even more worried about something like a tumour because if my body was so stressed subconciously to me id be missing my periods.

I have been to see a doctor and gone into hosp, and they have just put it down to anxiety as well. The hosp did an ECG and my heart was fine. But its not a problem of my heart because I think Ive got a very strong heart.

thanks for reading... this is epically long :(

Joeturner2
02-05-11, 15:55
Hey sorry u feel this way, i to woke up the other night with my heart racing, ever since then i have had tight chest and stomach, sweating breathing prob and of course palps, with just an ill feeling like u said! Ive had an ecg to which was fine

theoldcorner
02-05-11, 16:02
Hi jellyflash,
Your attacks sound like the ones I had in my teens (Which were my worst). To be honest, I wished I did have something terminal that would stop having to face the attacks. Sadly (but happily) there is usually nothing physically wrong. I find my sleep is always disrupted when I have had alcohol. A lot of my anxiety started with stress in work/studies.
Is there anythiing you think might have triggered your attacks?
Best wishes, Shaun

Spy
02-05-11, 16:05
Hi Jelly Flash,

What's you've described sounds quite typical of severe anxiety and panic, unfortunately its a vicious cycle with lack of sleep - it really does feel easier to manage if you are well rested. The good thing is that you have ruled out any problems with your heart, I think it sounds as if you need to chat with your doctor about how you can manage and reduce your anxiety. You may be offered, beta blockers, antidepressants or meds to help you sleep which can help in the short term but which may give you unpleasant side effects. Other options include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Hypnotherapy or a talking therapy to help resolve these issues.

If you haven't already I would suggest reducing any caffeine intake, alcohol and any other stimulants. A lot of people get help from exercise- this can really help with the palpatations. You might also need to look at the things going on around you and try and identify anythign that is causing you stress, it might be an accumulation of lots of little things rather than one thing....

There is lots of advice on the site and people to help.

I hope you begin to feel better soon xx

jelly flash
02-05-11, 21:39
thanks for your replies guys

I got some beta blockers but after reading the side effects im now too scared to take them :(

i dont know if im going to sleep tonight

choccychompa
02-05-11, 23:03
Oh honey :( I know just how you feel not being able to sleep. It's horrible. I have terrible insomnia and sometimes get the heart pounding thing. as you know, it's self perpetuating because you daren't sleep so you get over tired. Bless you. xxx

jelly flash
03-05-11, 22:53
Hi guys... wanted your advice if that's okay?

I'm thinking of going to hospital and asking for neurological testing

today ive been feeling better, with still numbness in my head, and i managed to get 6/7 hours last night which is a lot for me to be getting lately...

And ive just recently in the last couple hours gotton shaky again, and the numbness has been getting more pronounced... like before it was just a numb spot on the back of my back and now its all over the back of my head... And I was also feeling nausiated.

Since this began I have already seen 2 docs, a nurse and another doc at a hosp, and i cant help feeling that they're all wrong in just thinking its anxiety because i dont feel stressed within myself, i have been feeling fine all day (not emotionally stressed etc, but with still physical sympmtoms),, and it just doesnt make sense to me!
I feel a bit stiff, and a bit shakey when i walk, and i really just have it that something is really wrong

Part of me doesnt want to go to hosp because i may be wrong, and in which case when this anxiety passes ill feel like a fool and have hypochondria label, but im just worried that im not wrong and the docs are

:(

advice please? :(

jelly flash
03-05-11, 23:13
like earlier i was just sitting down and all of a sudden i got a numbing 'swish' sensation traveling to the left side of my head (more than the always constant sensation), and then it went soon after but it scared me

and i dont have breathing difficulties, its about my head :(

jelly flash
03-05-11, 23:17
and i was feel positive about being able to get a good nights sleep tonight despite the numbness, but now its worse i dont know how im going to sleep ;(

Spy
04-05-11, 08:37
Hi Jellyflash,

If you need to go to the dr you should, ask for what help you need. Sometimes we need to eliminate all the possibilities before we can accept the anxiety and address it.
Take care x

Willbrand
07-05-11, 13:50
i always feel your symptoms too,tingling sesations all over... had lots of test all came back normal,anxiety said the docs.. its hard but we have to go on,u r not alone

Anxious_gal
07-05-11, 14:52
these symptoms are all new for you, but for someone like me who has anxiety my whole life they are pretty common, after your tests come back clear you need to accept that it's just part of having an anxiety disorder.
I always freaked out about "new" symptoms but eventually you do get somewhat used to them.