PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a Downer

uryjm
25-03-04, 22:41
I woke this morning feeling pretty low, waking too early and worrying over changes at my work that are a bit beyond my control. I'm not used to feeling down, but I started to become concerned that this waking early was maybe a sign of descent into depression, despite the fact that I've never suffered this affliction (panic is enough to be going on with!) Before I knew it, my thoughts were blazing ahead toward a panic attack - what if I burst into tears at work today? What if I broke down in a meeting? What if I just suddenly went mute? Or was found wandering around the carpark behaving erratically? Silly stuff, but at the time it seemed almost a real possibility. I let the panic wash over me and it was pretty tough going. It took quite a while (hours) to feel anything like my normal self.
Still, I got through it and the thought of my fellow sufferers on this website was a big reassurance. I knew these irrational thoughts were something that a lot of us have to put up with before, during and after an attack. I'm feeling much improved now, and am pleased that I handled a bad episode well and got back on my feet quickly. So keep going everyone and keep posting to this great site!

Jim

sadie
25-03-04, 22:52
Hi urijym,

Sorry to hear that you were feeling a bit low today but you pulled yourself through it and you have ended the day feeling pleased with yourself, despite feeling like this, well done!!

As you mentioned, we do all go through this small blips but thats all they are, nothing more than that.We are strong people that can cope with many different symptoms, worrying thoughts or irrational behaviours due to our anxiety but we ALLWAYS get through it.

The mind s a powerful thing and its amazing when you think back to what some of your thoughts were that day, how you could possibly think such irrational things but you do in the midst of FEAR.

Im glad you are feeling more positive now and not taking a further step back on your road to recovery as you were doing so well. We all have days when we feel like this but they to pass.

Take care

sadie

twister
25-03-04, 22:55
I panic about getting depressed too even though I have never suffered from it....

you sound like you coped well though Jim and we all have bad days:)

Emily

stimpy
26-03-04, 09:11
Well done Jim !

You coped brilliantly.
Sometimes the best thing to do with panic is to just let it go and have it's time. Then recover at your own pace. Some times it takes a few hours sometimes it takes a few days.

Keep up the good work, hun
You are doing great.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

red
26-03-04, 09:43
First of all - well done Jim! It always amazes me that when I am not feeling 'right' or a PA is threatening, thinking about this site and the helpful stuff that is said here comes to me and instantly smooths a lot of the 'ripples' out. It sounds like you experience the same thing.

The change at work was probably a major factor in this latest happening to you. Sufferers don't like change much and it can really unbalance our thoughts - knowing this makes us even more able to cope though.

Thank you for letting us know - and again, I'm so glad you got through it all - you are a prime example of how it can be tamed! Proud of you!

Take care

Red
x

Laurie28
26-03-04, 12:01
Jim,

I'm sorry you woke up feeling down Jim but I think you done great!!

The 'What If's' are the main cause of my panic 'what if' I take a reaction 'what if' i go loopy and lose the plot 'what if'.....
and even though we know the thoughts are irrational it is very difficult to stop them and turn them around,

The good thing is that you seen it for what is was and coped brilliantly and moved on and feel good for it.

Take care
Lucky

uryjm
27-03-04, 09:02
Thanks everyone for your support. Thursday was a bit of an off day, and pretty bloody scary too. I've suffered from panic for twenty years and have learned to live with it, but a bad attack can still almost seem like the first time. It's a real effort trying to batter it back down, but your comments all help.
Incidentally, i think what triggered it was a bad night's sleep (four hours) due to boozing too much and mixing my drinks (beer, champagne, red wine and whiskey)combined with the stress at work. A bit of a witch's brew.

Jim

red
28-03-04, 12:33
Doh! Still - just proving that you are human.

Take better care!

Red
x

Meg
31-03-04, 21:06
How are you doing now the days have passed Jim ?

Meg