PDA

View Full Version : Please help, I need some advice.

Yasmin
03-05-11, 15:52
I've always been a 'worrier' (but I have never experienced anxiety to this extent before).

Due to recent conversation with my father, regarding the health of my mother (which we have now discovered is not serious at all), myself and my GP believe that this has triggered an enormous shock of Anxiety in me. Over this weekend I could not stop crying and had a fear of impending doom, I also feel as if if im going insane. I can't get the thought of going insane out of my mind, and this is what scares me the most. I can't stop or control my thoughts. It feels like a viscous circle. I think about going insane, which then gives me a panic/anxiety attack which then makes me think I am insane OR if If carry on thinking about it, going insane is inevitable, but I can't control my thoughts, so it's going to happen anyway?. (it's very frustrating and hard to explain).

I visited the GP this morning as I could not cope with these feelings and thoughts any more. He has now put me on some Anxiety medication.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? and can anyone relate to my experience? and can you be rid of Anxiety? (Im 16, this experience has frightened me and this is the first time I have experienced it).

Any advice or reassurance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Yasmin.

theoldcorner
03-05-11, 16:31
Hi Yasmin,
You are going through the same symptoms as everyone else on the forum, so you are not alone.

Anxiety/Panic attacks can make you feel as if you are losing your mind and can be a vicious circle as you say.

All I can say is, read some of the information on the site and you will hopefully get a bit more info on how anxiety is affecting you.

There will also be kind words and support from the forum as well.

Bets wishes and take care,
Shaun

Tyke
03-05-11, 20:42
Hi Yasmin

Many of us on here have been through this. Fearing insanity is common when feeling so anxious. As Shaun says, read up on as much information about anxiety and panic as you can. Understanding what is happening to you helps you to deal with it. Use all the help that is on offer too - at your surgery and here on this site. I found life tough at 16 anyway, personally I think life is usually less stressful when you are older, I certainly find it easier now. There are also more medications around today to help you through a bad patch. I'm sure you won't always feel like you do now.

Tyke

vicky23
04-05-11, 10:09
Bless you I'm sorry you're going through this everyone here knows how awful anxiety is! But yes it absolutely can be beaten. It sounds very likely that you've just had a shock thinking your Mum might be ill which is totally understandable. We are all wired in different ways and while one person might have just been relieved after finding out your Mum would be fine another kind of person is sent into a sense of high anxiety even though the apparent threat (your Mum being ill) isn't there anymore a part of your mind hasn't got the message yet!
Unfortunatley GP's do tend to just give us medicine when it sometimes isn't what we need. Because you can pinpoint the cause of your anxiety I'd personally (altho I'm by no means a Doctor ) say you might benefit more from some talking therapy. This could come in the form of asking your GP about it or your school might have some services they can offer. In my surgery there's a poster up about councelling for young people, because you're only 16 it would be free so it'd be worth taking up I think.
With regards to going insane, like Tyke said fearing insanity is common among anxiety sufferers especially if it's the first time you've felt such intense feeling but I heard it said somewhere that if you are worried about being insane then you are not because if you were insane you wouldn't know about it rather you'd think you were perfectly normal if that makes sense? Your mind is working perfectly well in fact because you sensed a threat and your adrenaline/nervous system responded you've just got to work through getting it to calm down a bit now because it's OVERworking.
It is possible so have faith you can get out of this tunnel
x

vicky23
04-05-11, 10:16
just as a p.s. I'm not advocating you don't take the anti anxiety medicine the Dr gave you I'm just saying they may not be necessary once you've talked through your issues