PDA

View Full Version : …some advice, please?

sambeckett
03-05-11, 21:34
Hello all,

I've not posted on this forum since joining a while ago, to be honest because I'm scared of writing about my problems and experiences even on here.

Today I had some really good news…I finally achieved something at work I've been working towards for weeks. However I then almost straight away had a panic attack on the bus on the way home. I know it's because of so much stress building up over that time, but this makes me feel completely useless as like I'll never be able to be happy or feel normal about anything.

I could really use some advice about how to get over panic attacks and not feel like such a failure after having one. I know there are lots of medical/scientific explanations for them but I can't seem convince myself not to feel so down about it.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

theoldcorner
03-05-11, 22:16
Hi Sam,
This has happened to me. I think we get so engrossed in a project that when it finally fininshes we are left feeling in limbo, wondering what next. It's also the relief of reaching one goal only to realise you are going to have to start something new all over again, which can be daunting. I guess all I can say is, give yourself a break and be pleased with what you achieved and let tommorrow take care of itself (easy advice to give, harder to put into action :))
Best wishes and CONGRATUALTIONS
Shaun

sambeckett
03-05-11, 22:47
Hi Shaun,

thank you for writing back, it means a lot.
I suppose I have to get better at learning to relax…not so easy to do!

It's nice to know that I can write to someone about it on here.

Spy
04-05-11, 08:32
Hi Sam,

Its really hard to learn how to deal with setbacks and not feel demoralised after a panic attack, I think its something everyone struggles with. I read in a book somewhere that it helps to tell yourself that these are learning opportunities, chances for you to apply the strategies that you have learned to cope with the panic attacks - you might not believe it at first but sometimes repitition makes it sink in. It does also help to understand what the triggers are for the attack, was the bus busy, were you tired because of extra work in getting your project finished, were you hungry? CBT really helps in structuring this approach to thinking about panic and helps you manage the negative thoughts and focus on the positive achievements.

Hope this helps a little

Tc x

Eternity
04-05-11, 09:22
Hi Sam
Firstly well done, don't underestimate how well you've done. I know that CBT etc helps but can be a lengthy process.
I was given a book by a friend by Dr Claire Weekes called Self Help For Your Nerves, it's recommended on here, and it's excellent.
It has some really inspiring stories about depression and anxiety but also has some great tips and guideance for anxiety, both for learning over a period of time but also tips which you can use straight away when you begin to feel anxious which I found really useful.
Not sure if this helps but I found it really useful.
Take care
Love
Tina x