PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Daily Mail article..

happycamper
04-05-11, 14:04
I'm not sure how to take this article, but some of the comments at the end are enlightening - as per Daily Mail usual!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1382895/Depression-good-you.html

PanchoGoz
04-05-11, 14:27
Grrr.

suzy-sue
04-05-11, 14:27
Excellent article :DThanks Sue x

yvonne_uk_98
04-05-11, 17:39
Brilliant Article. :)

ElizabethJane
06-05-11, 17:57
I really don't understand this article. I have looked at the website and have decided it isn't for me. Depression definitely isn't fun. I've missed the point. EJ

Magic
06-05-11, 18:58
Hi All,
Nothing nice or fun about depression.
About taking steps to address the problem before it deteriorates.silly stuff.
My depression will be on going for the rest of my life. Believe me it's not funny.
What a load of (can't say it)

suzy-sue
06-05-11, 19:18
I didnt visit the website and dont think Depression is fun at all .But I can see what the article meant .I t can make you more resilient and its a wake up call .You do change when you have come through it .Because it makes you aware of things and you look closer at what was wrong and can be changed in your life .Well thats what I related to anyway .I think you also find out a lot about yourself ..Sue

haz
06-05-11, 19:24
That's all very well if you have suffered ONE episode and come through the "other side" a stronger person. Personally, I think it knocks your confidence and leaves you feeling quite the opposite and wondering if and when it will happen again. Also, I think the friends and families of people who have lost loved ones due to depression would strongly agree that "There's NOTHING funny about Depression".

suzy-sue
06-05-11, 19:35
Somoene like yourself Haz who has got a history of recurring Depression or Like Ej .I can understand how this could make you feel like that .I too wonder if I will make it when I am off my drugs ,But I always try to remain positive .Something I wasnt before ..Sue x

PanchoGoz
06-05-11, 20:28
Its true, everything seems easier when you are not experiencing it now. Think of giving birth, anyone would do that again, even with the excrutiating pain, you just forget.

happycamper
06-05-11, 23:08
Hang on, giving birth is a matter of a day or so, depression and anxiety can be years...!

I agree though, it isn't possible to generalise depression and anxiety, as it affects people so differently from one major episode to many years without any real resolution. Therefore null and void one thinks...?

Tyke
11-05-11, 03:11
Like the story says, it can be positive if we can use it to re-evaluate and make changes for a better life and we can be a lot happier as a result. I think it is easier if you have a clear idea of what led you to be depressed, but that's not the case for everyone. I think it makes a difference whether or not you frequently suffer with depression or can just see it as an isolated episode. In the case of the latter it is easier to be more positive. Our choices are also limited by circumstances - depression always increases during a recession as people lose jobs, face redundancy and have fewer opportunities. Helen McNallen has obviously found her niche in life and I am very pleased for her, but sadly not everyone will.

Tyke

Greenman50
11-01-12, 16:29
It was good to read Michael Douglas is doing ok after the year he had last in 2011

Carys
11-01-12, 17:01
Think of giving birth, anyone would do that again, even with the excrutiating pain, you just forget. I wouldn't !! Did it once nearly 14 years ago and never again. I've been paranoid about 'getting pregnant' ever since.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

You know what, I quite like that article...considering it is the Daily Mail and I think they are akin to the anti-Christ. :roflmao:

As some of you may be bored with hearing, I had catastrophic anxiety and depression following the birth of my daughter, which was the culmination of 15 years of panic disorders. I was hospitalised and like the person writing the article was even given a course of ect. It changed me, for the better, it was indeed a life-changing experience....it was hell on earth....but my silver lining is that it entirely reviewed my outlook on everything once I had recovered. I am not the same person as I was before that terrible event in my life, the odd day of stress and panic doesn't touch me anymore really. I can cope with anything that life throws at me now.

However, I can see how those with chronic depression might feel offended by the article. I think the one thing that this article does not do is define the different types of depression that exist and the multiple reasons for them. It is too generic in its treatment of 'depression'.