PDA

View Full Version : First time taking Propranolol

chattygirl16
04-05-11, 18:41
Hiya, I'm 17 and I'm in my second and last year of Alevels. January exams didn't go too well and so I have to retake a few - the end result is that I have 11 exams to take in the next month or so. Safe to say that the panic attacks I had as a child, when my dad was still at home, have returned.

To begin with I didn't know what they were. I was having chest pains, pains, pins'n'needles and numbness down my arms'n' legs. I was worried that there was something wrong with my heart or lungs. I went to the doctors, my BP, oxygen levels and every thing were completely normal and my blood tests were fine.

After retunring many-a-time, we came to the conclusion that they were all symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks. I'm been prescribed propranolol 40mg to take once a day.

Glancing around and reading other posts it seems that my dosage is quite a bit higher than others, is this normal? My mum is suspicious that I could become dependant on them and has fueled my thoughts with doubts and (guess what) more worries...

Just a word or someone who's already on it and how it helps them would be very useful!

Thanks,
Chatty (:

Hazel B
04-05-11, 19:20
Hi, my first dose was 40mg x 3 times daily. I'm 5 feet 3 and 8 1/2 stones, so quite small. The dose should suit your size and level of anxiety. I was really anxious, heart rate over 120bpm and scared all the time and the Propranolol really helped me to break the anxiety cycle.

I did not have any side-effects, just a lot calmer which is what helped me get better. I don't think you can get addicted to them and I knew when my dose needed to come down. I also did lots of other things to help like counselling, stopping smoking, cut out caffeine etc.

Tyke
04-05-11, 19:26
Hi Chattygirl

I am now on Propranolol for the second time with no problems. I take an 80mg slow release capsule once a day. Some people take 40mg three times a day for anxiety. If it is used to treat heart problems the doses go even higher. 40 mg a day isn't actually that high. Since you are taking them for a stressful period in your life which has a clear end date I doubt you very much you become dependant on them. Your doctor will probably think about stopping them once your exams are over. They are not addictive like some of the older drugs are.

If you find this drug helpful I would continue to take it and not worry about it. You are only using it to see you through a short term difficult situation.

Tyke

chattygirl16
04-05-11, 19:55
Thank you very much! Both of you! I was meant to take my first one this evening and this has definitely eased my mind. This is very helpful!

Cutting out caffeine has been my first proactive step and has seemed to help a little but is yoga and more exercise completely necessary?

Hazel B
04-05-11, 20:23
I found that cutting caffeine really helped me, it was harder than stopping smoking but I'm used to good decafs now. Caffeine really stimulates your body and when you are anxious it exacerbates the problem.

I don't have time to go to yoga classes but I walk outside every day for 30 mins, this helps and is classed as exercise.

You need to find what suits you best and what you like to do. You can beat anxiety and I hope it passes soon.

raychn2003
07-06-11, 15:06
Exercise is good, as it releases the body's natural highs and painkillers which is good for those of us that get down and experience long term pain. I no longer exercise like I used to, but when I did exercise alot I did fell tonnes better for it!