PDA

View Full Version : New here

onlysmee
05-05-11, 09:15
Hi everyone,

I've suffered with health anxiety for a long time, looking back even as a small child I was always anxious about my health and about people I loved dying, and a major health problem in my 20s plus a series of problems after that have made things worse. It got so bad last year that my GP referred me for CBT, which really helped in terms of showing me what to do, but I am still struggling with putting it into practice. So now I feel bad because I'm no good at following the CBT - there's always something to feel guilty about!!

Having been OK for a few months, I'm now in a bit of a downward spiral again, hence finding this forum to see if talking to other people in the same position will help. Every time something goes wrong with me, it's straight to the doomsday scenario; at the moment I am suffering a lot of sciatic type pain with leg pain and numbness, which gets me down and which I start to think is the sign of terrible things. Classic stuff but I'm obsessing with it and making myself miserable. On the plus side I know I've been here many times before and logic tells me I'll make it through the other side! It doesn't help that often in the past things which have initially been dismissed by a doctor as routine HAVE turned out to be a more complicated or serious problem, so I'm now on high alert all the time and don't trust any reassurance I get.

Thanks for reading this and I'm so happy there is a forum like this for people with health anxiety to help each other; people who don't have it find it often a very frustrating thing to try to deal with and I don't show my family how much I'm struggling, so it's nice to have an outlet.

diane07
05-05-11, 09:16
Hi onlysmee

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

valmay
05-05-11, 11:54
Hi Onlysmee welcome it's nice to have a place to go where you don't feel that people are rolling there eyes when you talk :)

suzy-sue
05-05-11, 12:45
Hi and :welcome:to NMP Sue x