PDA

View Full Version : Migraines - please help

Ddcoo
06-05-11, 11:13
I get about 6 migraines a year normally, but on Tuesday, Wednesday and last night I have had a migraine with zig zag auras each night and today I feel like a damp dishcloth.

Please can anyone tell me if they have had migraines one after the other like I have had. I don't need to mention that I am panicky at the moment. I would be so grateful if anyone could put my mind at rest.

paula lynne
06-05-11, 12:11
Hi there, I sympathise with you. Ive suffered with them since the age of 11. Im 40 now, and for the past year or so, they have increased in intensity and frequency, going from about 1 every 3/4 monthes to several a month, and sometimes, 1 every day for 3 days on the trot.

I saw my Gp and she advised that its probably due to hormonal changes. She also recommended I see my optician for a check up. Sure enough, the strength of one of my lenses needed to be altered. I cant say the migraines are any better for my new glasses, but at least my glasses are right for me now. Maybe you should see your Gp for advice. I used to use Migraleve (over £7 a packet!), but have switched to Neurofen Migraine (£3 or so). They seem to be working much better, and dont knock me out like the Migraleve used too. In fact, as soon as the aura comes, I take one and within half an hour, am able to get on with my day, not go to bed like I had to with Migraleve.

Obviously, everyone is different and this is just my experience. Stress plays a major factor in migraine too, as well as changes in atmospheric pressure.....weather going from warm and dry, to muggy and rain.

Hope you feel better soon x
Paula x:hugs:

Ddcoo
06-05-11, 13:17
Thank you Paula Lynne for your very helpful reply, your comments made a lot of sense as since I had my new specs nearly two years ago, I know that they are not quite right and am going for an eye test in the next couple of months and will question the lens being correct, although it is only this week that I have had so many migraines one after the other.

It could be stress too as my other half had a heart stent fitted a few weeks ago and then collapsed the week after which really stressed me. Then there is the atmospheric pressure, it has been very heavy and clammy here during the week and I did remark on it to my OH only a couple of days ago, so the migraines could be caused by that too.
It rained last night and has freshened the air a little, so hopefully I don't get another one tonight.

Regarding hormones being the cause, I didn't have a migraine before I was in the menopause, they started when I was 54 yrs - I have now finished the menopause.

~~Again thank you so much for your helpful reply, I am most grateful :hugs:

paula lynne
06-05-11, 13:44
Youre very welcome! :)

blueangel
06-05-11, 13:52
As another migraine sufferer, I can add that mine seemed to get exponentially worse when I went perimenopausal. I only ever used to get a handful of attacks a year, and sometimes even went a couple of years without one, then within a short time I went to getting them every few days. I finally cracked and went to the doctor about them when I had 5 attacks in a week, and he put me on beta-blockers to help prevent the attacks.

Attacks do often come in spates, and as Paula has said, weather conditions can affect them; thunderstorms seem to be a particular trigger for some people. I know a couple of people who say that they get more attacks at this time of year when there are major changes in the weather.

There is a big, big hormonal component to migraine, which is why more women get them than men. Some recent research has picked up that they are connected with low oestrogen levels, and the good news from that is that migraine with aura sufferers have a lower risk of breast cancer.

There is lots of useful information on the Migraine Trust website if you want to check that out.

Ddcoo
06-05-11, 14:48
Thank you blueangel for your reply and I do think now that it is possibly the atmospheric conditions that has bought on this particular attack of migraines, but I will mention it to the doctor on my next visit, especially if I keep getting clusters of them.
Both you and Paula Lynne have put things into perspective and I will do as you suggest and conact the migraine website.

Thank you Paula for mentioning the price of migraine tablets, I will certainly try them.

ZoJo
06-05-11, 17:12
Hello,
Thought I would put my experience with them to you too!!
I had a spate of cluster migraines...one after the other, literally! I had them after I had some skin tags removed and had a reaction to the anesthetic, they were what started my health anxiety kicking off....caused by hormones reacting (according to the Doctor)! I get migraines when im either stressed or hormonal, but the cluster ones were horrible so I have massive sympathy for you. I totally agree with you on the air pressure, my head is banging at the moment and has been for a couple of days. I wish it would rain!!
I also get zig zag auras before mine, start in one eye and move across to the other. I also find that migraleve helps if I take them in time.
Hope you start to feel better soon, just thought I would say ive had the clusters too as they are awful, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy!!!
Original tiger balm is fantastic on the temples (not the red one as thats very strong) Migraine pads (gel things) on the neck and forehead are good too, and plenty of rest and calm (if you can) x

Hazel B
06-05-11, 21:01
I used to get them every 2 months, but a friend pointed out that I didn't drink enough water and since I upped my water intake they are much less frequent. I only get them now if I am out in the sun too much being energetic or if I get really upset about something. I find that Migraleve or Imigran help take the edge off if taken early and I lie in a dark room until it passes. It can sometimes take 2-3 days after the migraine to feel normal again as they make you weak and wobbly.

Hope you are better soon.

P.S. I love the teddy!