PDA

View Full Version : When to take

Million_Moments
06-05-11, 17:23
I am a bit confused about the Propranolol I have been given. I was a bit reluctant to take it because I regulary go running and I thought I didn't want my heart rate slowed as I could end up collapsing. The doctor seemed to say that it's very short acting, and thus I could just take it when I was having an actual anxiety attack which tend to mostly happen at night. However she wrote take one a day on the box, then told me she just wanted me to have them even if I didn't take them, then the pharamist told me to take one a day, and then start taking an extra one if I have any feelings of anxiety.

CONFUSED!

MatthewH
19-05-11, 21:58
It may be best to speak to the doctor again, as it will be different for different people. My doctor told me to take one in the morning, then a second throughout the day if i was bad and a third if i was bad in the evening. Im going to try stick to one a day, but as ive only started today, and had a weird chest this evening (which may be anxiety at taking these tablets, and worrying that its now the tablets, when in fact its just worn off!). I felt much better after the initial anxiety and worry of taking them, but think its worn off now and that im worrying its the tablets when infact its anxiety.
Basically, give your doctor or GP a call and confirm with them. I worried about the running side of it (im in the military, so fitness is a big part of the job) and the doctor told me that i should be alright, but might be a bit slower than normal. Im assuming that the reason behind that is that your heart is pumping slightly slower, so oxygen isnt getting to the muscles as quickly as normal, thus tiring you out quicker. Thats my view of it anyway!