PDA

View Full Version : breathlessness can anxiety cause it?

gordie1
06-05-11, 23:59
Hi sorry its me can anxiety cause breathlessness? I am not breathless all the time it is only when i try and take a deep breath I feel I cant catch it and I start panicing and it seems to get worse then I get all lightheaded.

nomorepanic
07-05-11, 00:01
Yes - you are not breathing correctly

macc noodle
07-05-11, 00:09
warm milky drink and bed for you!!!! you seem to have got yourself into a right state tonight and you are experiencing all the symptoms of panic attack.

Good luck and try not to worry.

jan
x

anthrokid
08-05-11, 13:33
Breathlessness is prettymuch one of the number 1 symptoms of anxiety.

It is a result from hyperventilating. You can actually be hyperventilating without realising it. Most anxiety sufferers hyperventilate constantly without ever realisng, and hense often feel panicky and short of breath.

Try some breathing exercises. Try breathing in for 7 counts, and out for 9. I remember when my psychiatrist first asked me to do this and I could only breathe in for 2 seconds or out for 4! Just practise this breathing. Even breathing in for 5 and out for 7, or as long as you can. It'll help, trust me.4

Good luck, and remember, just breathe :)

xJust_Sarahx
08-05-11, 14:29
Hi
I am the same, i try to take a deep breathe in and when i feel i cant - i start to panic and then im constantly monitoring my breathing, then i notice i breathe fast and panic more. Cant win really it seems. But it is perfectly normal and nothing bad will happen as a result.