PDA

View Full Version : A really really bad dizzy episode!!!

bubloo
07-05-11, 16:40
Hi,

As I have posted earlier, I am prone to dizzy spells, which I usually put down to anxiety, thought when they are happening they are very real, and do not appear to be psycologically related though my wife and family just cannot grasp the fact that when they happen I cannot control it but they just get mad at me for causing an embarassment especially in public places and just tell me to get a grip. Only they dont realize its just not that easy for someone suffering from these episodes.

Anyway, this morning, I attended an event about 5 minutes walk away from my house, I was fine getting there and fine for most of the event, which lasted from about 10 - 2:30. However, the room was very hot, and in the last 30-40 mins felt a headache coming on and felt a little lightheaded. As we left the building to head back home, the dizziness really kicked in. My wife was with me, and within yards of leaving the building, I fell to the ground. The dizziness was so bad that the 5 minute walk became a struggle. And I fell to the ground at least once or twice more badly brusing one of my elbows in the process.
My wife doesnt understand the symptomns and just told me to control myself but it was such a bad episode, that nothing seemed to help. I had some Bach spray in my pocket which I used, but these dont usually help when you are in the middle of the episiode.

I had been drinking water all day and wasnt dehydrated and there were other people who all coped fine with the heat which is the argument my wife also used against me.

is there anything anyone can recommend for this, I think this was partly heat and partly anxiety but when its happening it just seems so real that nothing helps.

I have been to the doctor with my dizziness complaints and they referred me for some blood tests including fasting glucose which all apparently were normal.

Incidently, having ribena after I got home did relieve my symptoms somewhat which makes me think it is sugar related but I have had all the tests done more than once....

If someone can recommend anything that would be great as this is very embarassing for people around me especially when it happens in public places and I cant really blame them for being mad at me..

Its hard to describe the dizziness but its like my legs just can no longer support me and give way and I lose all sense of balance and coordination both in the legs and arms. And as I walk I am all over the place, and in todays episode, I had to lean my upper body forward to try and control myself from falling over.

macc noodle
07-05-11, 16:45
When was the last time you had a fasting glucose test? It does seem more than coincidental that a sugary drink revived you.

I would go back to your GP and discuss it further.

Even if it is anxiety, then you need some help to devise coping strategies to deal with your episodes.

Good luck.

:)

bubloo
07-05-11, 16:47
When was the last time you had a fasting glucose test? It does seem more than coincidental that a sugary drink revived you.

I would go back to your GP and discuss it further.

Even if it is anxiety, then you need some help to devise coping strategies to deal with your episodes.

Good luck.

:)

Mid-2009.

blueangel
07-05-11, 23:44
Also, has your doctor checked you out for things like middle ear/inner ear problems? There are a number of (non-harmful) causes for loss of balance - a very common one is called Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo (I think I've got it the right way round!) and I gather this can come on very suddenly, similar to the way you describe. Balance problems can be picked up quite easily with audiological tests - my ex-husband is an audiologist so I've heard lots about people suffering with this sort of thing.

bubloo
08-05-11, 09:53
But is there any treatment?

bubloo
09-05-11, 13:12
Also, has your doctor checked you out for things like middle ear/inner ear problems? There are a number of (non-harmful) causes for loss of balance - a very common one is called Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo (I think I've got it the right way round!) and I gather this can come on very suddenly, similar to the way you describe. Balance problems can be picked up quite easily with audiological tests - my ex-husband is an audiologist so I've heard lots about people suffering with this sort of thing.

My doctor did previously do a balance test of some sort which appeared to be OK.

On reflecting on it now, I think maybe it was a combination of heat exhaustion coupled with anxiety as well.

Its just when its happening it just appears so real and you are thinking, how can it be anxiety when I wasnt feeling panicky when it started but was actually fairly relaxed.

Any1 got any tips for preventing these episodes or stopping them fast when they occur?

vickyh
09-05-11, 13:37
This also happens to me and I go through spells where I feel really dizzy. I understand how you feel as there is nothing worse than being out in public and feeling like that. Thankfully my partner is very understanding and he supports me when I am feeling like that when out.

I too had blood tests for all sorts of things, all came back fine. I also found that when I felt like that having some chocolate or drink made me feel better and I thought maybe I had some form of diabetes. I then got diagnosed with depression and anxiety and looking back now I can see these were all related to stress, anxiety, depression that I was suffering. I tend to get the dizzy spells when I dont seem to think I am anxious. But I do think it is caused by the anxiety etc.

If you are worried though you should go back to your doctor. :)

bubloo
09-05-11, 13:48
This also happens to me and I go through spells where I feel really dizzy. I understand how you feel as there is nothing worse than being out in public and feeling like that. Thankfully my partner is very understanding and he supports me when I am feeling like that when out.

I too had blood tests for all sorts of things, all came back fine. I also found that when I felt like that having some chocolate or drink made me feel better and I thought maybe I had some form of diabetes. I then got diagnosed with depression and anxiety and looking back now I can see these were all related to stress, anxiety, depression that I was suffering. I tend to get the dizzy spells when I dont seem to think I am anxious. But I do think it is caused by the anxiety etc.

If you are worried though you should go back to your doctor. :)

Hi Thanks for that, do you have any coping strategies for the dizziness?

Because falling all over the place in public is highly embarassing to say the least and to people who dont understand that it is involuntary, they look upon you as if you are some weirdo....

I have tried Bachs and Kalms which seems to help (I think) if taken in advance but nothing when in the full flow of a dizziness attack.

I have lived with this for as long as I can remember, I remember having dizziness spells when I was maybe 9-10 years old, I am 32 now, but it is affecting things I can do, so is a big issue now.

snowgoose
09-05-11, 13:54
HI bubloo,
have you tried an aromatherapy oil on a tissue in your pocket ? realise guys dont want to smell of lavender ........but you can get eucalyptus sage etc .
or even olbas oil from chemist . just sniffing it can help hugely I found . and I never go anywhere without ice cold water to sip .....kind of grounds you .
horrible symptom x

bubloo
09-05-11, 14:16
HI bubloo,
have you tried an aromatherapy oil on a tissue in your pocket ? realise guys dont want to smell of lavender ........but you can get eucalyptus sage etc .
or even olbas oil from chemist . just sniffing it can help hugely I found . and I never go anywhere without ice cold water to sip .....kind of grounds you .
horrible symptom x

Hey willing to try anything at this stage to get over these episodes.

I think of all the anxiety related symptoms if there was one I could get rid of it would be the dizzy spells.

All the others you can hide or control pretty much, but when you get dizzy you get dizzy and its the worst feeling ever as you feel totally powerless to control them and there is nothing you appear to be able to do to control their effects..

blueangel
09-05-11, 14:45
there is quite a well-publicised theory about anxiety being linked to low blood sugar. I'm not sure whether many doctors over here tend to link the two, but there is quite a lot of literature about it if you do a search. From what I can remember, you would have to have a quite specific blood test to diagnose it, but if this is the case with you, then there's a possibility that you can help it with some changes to your diet.

As to first aid for the attacks themselves, I think my best advice would be to sit down quickly if you feel it coming on, or find something to lean against so that you don't fall over. Sorry I can't help any more.

bubloo
09-05-11, 15:02
there is quite a well-publicised theory about anxiety being linked to low blood sugar. I'm not sure whether many doctors over here tend to link the two, but there is quite a lot of literature about it if you do a search. From what I can remember, you would have to have a quite specific blood test to diagnose it, but if this is the case with you, then there's a possibility that you can help it with some changes to your diet.

As to first aid for the attacks themselves, I think my best advice would be to sit down quickly if you feel it coming on, or find something to lean against so that you don't fall over. Sorry I can't help any more.

yea thanks for that, your advise is always helpful....:)

vickyh
10-05-11, 09:42
I dont really have many strategies for dealing with this. Often if I am in a shop for example I just have to leave and just go outside and get some fresh air. Thankfully I have never fallen over but there have been times when it has come close.

I often get it when walking about at work, so I plan what it is I need to get up to do, my route and things like that. I also keep a packet of lucozade type tablets in my bag as I find they help. Defintately carrying about a drink or water ( i tend to have squash just as it is sweeter) has helped.

Interestingly when I started on citalopram i found it got worse and after a few weeks I didnt get it much at all, but this week it has started up again. I am not sure why, i guess I will need to bring that up with the doctor when I go again. It is funny it has started up again now as this last week is the best I have felt in a long time and I have not felt that anxious or depressed.

I hope things get better for you, let me know how you are getting on :)

bubloo
10-05-11, 15:27
Any advice on using herbal remedies like Kalms or Bachs for this sort of this?

bubloo
22-05-11, 16:37
HI bubloo,
horrible symptom x

Hi all,

After another really bad dizziness episode on Friday evening, as I decided to give the inhaling lavender trick a go.
I sprinkled a few drops of lavender onto a tissue and have been using it over the weekend when out and about and it really does seem to make a difference. I also have a fear of heights and it seems to have helped that as well somehow.

I also have bergamot energizing lotion which I also use and found very helpful as well.
I will keep trying this but my initial reaction is that they really do work and much quicker and better than using bach rescue remedy spray which I also carry with me.

snowgoose
22-05-11, 18:28
Hi Bubloo,

hope things are getting better for you . the aromatherapy oils do help .
it is one of my most hated symptoms .
to the point that I carry a fold up walking stick in my bag to lean on if feeling faint and jelly legged. that too reassures me .
just want to say I absolutely mean no offence to those here who have to use stick for arthritis or illness ..so do not mean I am taking it lightly .oh no .
just it supports me if there is no where to hold onto.
:hugs:
and I feel safer .

paula lynne
27-05-11, 21:25
My worst symptom too :mad:
Had to leave a funeral today (we were in a restaurant)..sit in car..lavender, mints, paper bag....fortunately the people who care about me understand and werent offended, but it sure is hard in a public place. Try the re-breathing into a paper bag, it addresses carbon dioxide/oxygen imbalance immediately. That and the lavender almost always work for me, albiet it can take 15 minutes to bring me back down.
Paula x

snowgoose
27-05-11, 21:59
so sorry to hear you had a bad day Paula :hugs:

think lavender oil has some great uses [it reminds me of family stuff so cant use ].......but aromatherapy oils are excellent and I am researching others .

your tips are so helpful Paula .esp paper bag ..........and I so hope you get a restful sleep tonight and wake up peaceful in the morning ready to go for weekend my pal .:yesyes:
good weather ...nice food ...a brisk walk .....some telly ....a bit craft work :winks:..............and a glass of chilled wine to round off .
xx
really pleased lavender is helping Bubloo...........it does clear our head somehow .
sorry for hijacking thread ................I was wondering how you were .
xx