PDA

View Full Version : wasps

sassy
16-04-06, 21:27
ok sounds daft but i have a huge fear of wasps! dread summer coming and tend not to go on holidays in case there are alot around. in fact last years holiday was terrible because i was on edge the whole time and close to tears. any advice?
bees are bad enough but wasps? urgh

jodie
16-04-06, 22:10
hi sassy

i know how you feel i am just the same it started that i just didnt like them but last year i was realy bad i wont go into the garden i were tops and jeans so there is nothing showing and they carnt sting me i have windows shut etc i was just thinking today i have seen a few
i have been out in garden geting stuff done befor the weather getts warm and they are more of them
i havent been able to get over it at all but i do spray that stuff you can get to keep things like thast away .

jodie xx

Rennie1989
16-04-06, 23:09
Don't worry about it, my boyfriend doesn't suffer from any mental illness and he has a huge fear of wasps and bees. It's perfectly normal, I'm scared-ish of them but I'm allergic to them, I keep telling him "If someone should of them it should be me" he feels a bit more comfortable because if I'm not scared of them then he shouldn't be.

But hey in the short term use wasp spray to get rid of the buiggers, lol.

Scooties Back

shy
17-04-06, 00:01
HATE wasps too the way they can just creep up on you.Bees arnt too bad if you ignore them they usaully leave you alone. I think eveyone is scared off them you not the only one;)

sassy
17-04-06, 07:54
jodie, you sound just like me. i must go thru a bottle of wasp away spray a week during the summer. i wont sit outside a cafe in case they are near the bins etc and if one so much a passes me in the street i run so fast that the kids have to run like mad to catch up!
i wish there was something i could do to get over this fear. it ruins my summer and upsets the kids.
bee's dont bother me too much because if they sting, they die so i reason that they only sting if absolutely necessary, where as wasps sting for any reason.

Coni
17-04-06, 08:03
hi sassy,

I can totally relate to this. I once had to stop a taxi I was in cos there was a wasp in the back beside me. I think the driver thought I was mad. I have a huge fear that there will be one in my car and I wont notice till I'm driving (I swear they hide and come out when you least expect it). Thank god for air conditioning so I dont need to have the windows down!

My husband used to say ignore them and they wont touch you...until last year when he was stung doing just that.

Unfortunately I think I've passed my fear onto my kids....terrible I know, but I cant control myself if theres one about.

Anyway this has just reminded me to buy some spray (I even sleep with a can beside my bed lol). Its been really cold here so I havent seen any yet, but forewarned is forearmed as they say!

Coni X

sassy
17-04-06, 08:30
thanks connie :) i know the fear of one being in the car well. i was on a busy bus last year when to my horror one was happily buzzing next to me. i just sat like a statue close to tears untill my stop came then i got off the bus shaking like crazy. i dont drive but i refuse to have any windows down if travelling in any car in the summer. at night all windows are closed no matter how hot it is. good to see im not the only one who has this fear :) xx

jodie
17-04-06, 16:38
hi sassy
you wont belive it you put this post out and i replyd then this morning i went to the loo and i could hear a buzzing noise yes there was a wasp on the blind i had no spray and couldent go back to bed untill it was dead i found it at 6 35 and after loads of spraying with impuls,bathroom spray, mouse ,detol,baby oil it died 840 lol i was stood there all that time mad huh my hubby just slept sead i was mad !
i was thinking of you and chuckerling to myself if only you could of seen me

jo x

sassy
17-04-06, 21:14
oh my god jodie lol you sound like my twin! i do that..i spray deoderant, bubble bath, shaving foam lol you name it. i even left the house once and begged a neighbour to kill the dam thing because i was so scared. im actually convinced that if i piss the dam thing off, it will come after me and wont stop till im stung (psycho wasp).
i feel for you..that must have been sheer hell!

Coni
17-04-06, 22:03
Sassy,

the idea of a psycho wasp gave me a laugh....thank you.
We had a nest a couple of years ago in the kids play house which I came across by accident (as I was tossing toys gaily inside). You've never seen anyone move so fast...I was throwing children out of the way....bolted inside and locked the door. My husband was rolling about laughing. I refused to budge until the pest control people had been and got rid of it!

Coni x

jodie
17-04-06, 22:06
you are so funny this post has realy given me a giggle when i think las year a wasp was in my kitchen and i was in the middle of doing lunch i had to leave the room for ages and wait till my hubby came in to go get the wasp.
i have also ran and left my little girl in her buggy when i have seen a wasp i wont let her have a lolly cos they would love that lol
i also hate thunder n lightning lol what w state huh

jo x

sassy
17-04-06, 22:34
connie, jodie..im laughing hystericaly! i can imagine that panic and horror when you saw that wasps nest..i would have wet myself with fear.
when my 13 year old was a baby, i left her outside in her pram on a warm summers day. i nipped out to check on her and to my immence horror, there was a wasp sitting gaily on the pram net. MOST doting, protective parents would have shooed the bloody thing away...oh no, not i. i legged it inside as fast as i could and screamed for my mother to get it off. when i see them and run..im ashamed to admit, that i usually leave the kids behind..im like it with dogs/thunder/lightening/dragonflies/dentists..oh my god, im scared of me own shadow!!

jodie
22-04-06, 09:02
sassy
what have you set off
i got up this morning and bamm a wasp flying around my bed room arrr but this time i has wasp killer [}:)]
i but it isent funny realy there is loads and agane this year i dont want to go out cos i am so scared [Sigh...]

jo xx

sassy
23-04-06, 08:21
[Sigh...] sorry jodie.
it seems we are heading for a long hot summer which is probably why there are so many of the dam things.
wish there was a way to conquer this fear...i want to enjoy summer-not dread it :(

Coni
23-04-06, 08:48
Hi guys,

Jodie, I'm the same.....I went to sit down at the computer yesterday and there on the windowsill was a big fat hairy bumble bee (not quite as bad as a wasp but bad enough).
Of course I screamed and ran for the spray (hubby had just gone out). The tin of spray was almost empty and I was practically jumping on it trying to get the last drops. The blooming thing just refused to die!!!! I think cos it was so big (at least the size of a small mouse!!) (ok maybe thats an exageration), but it was massive and kept trying to trick me into thinking it was dead.....then it would start with the trying to fly thing again....I was beside myself.

Eventually I had to phone my 14 year old son who was at his friends and get him to come home and kill it. He was scared too (in a teenage macho way of course) and the two of us ended up dancing around this thing trying to get the other to squash it! Eventually my son did kill it.... with half a roll of kitchen paper wrapped round a magazine (just in case the sting was particularly huge ( well the bee was..).

My husband thought it was hilarious.....I was completely traumatised (lol)... and I know this is just the beginning.

Hope you have a lovely wasp free sunday.

Coni X

sassy
24-04-06, 20:52
we can laugh but at the time its frightening. whilst walking the kids to school, i had to duck and dive several times to avoid wasps and those big hairy bees that seem to be around at the moment. it probably looked to passer bys that i was doing some kind of voodoo dance.
picked my daughter up from her friends and she pointed out a mouse size bee..i ran leaving my poor 5 yr old to leg it after me.
i so wish i was different..on a serious note-i pass my irrational fears down to my poor kids.
urgh :(
coni..ive been there a million times-too scared to kill an already crippled and over sprayed bee/wasp, in case its sting goes thru the slipper lol.
when i was 6 or 7, i was playing in the playground/talking non stop, when a huge bumble bee flew in my mouth. i was told to just keep my mouth open till it left. for ten long minutes i had to have it in there-terrified it would go down my throat or sting my mouth. luckily it left with no harm (except jaw ache). another time, i trod bare foot on a bee and had a nasty sting.
perhaps hynotherapy is the answer???

Coni
25-04-06, 07:06
Oh my god sassy, no wonder you have a fear.....I think if a wasp or bee had flown into my mouth I'd have passed out on the spot and been forever traumatised!! You poor thing....my stomachs churning just at the thought of it!

I know what you mean about passing our fears on.....my 9 year old daughter is terrified now of anything that flies or crawls....she seems to spend the summer screaming....and I take full responsibility, cos shes seen me react so many times.

Maybe hypnotherapy is a good idea.....but I think Im too scared to face my fear lol!

Coni X

scoobygirl2005
25-04-06, 12:08
Hi Sassy.

Aw poor you. I know how you feel too. I got stung by a wasp or a bee not sure it left its tail in me though, last year I got stung by one for the first time I think and its put me on edge ever since, when I go out and hear a buzzing sound or see one go by I just get so scared and I run away.

Scooby2005.

sassy
25-04-06, 22:04
so no one has any bright ideas as to how to conquer this fear? perhaps i should sit in a room full of them lol..can you imagine it? id be running around like a luny trying to murder them with a slipper!!

thank scooby and poor you!

Coyote
13-05-06, 17:58
Understanding them I think is one of the practical thing you can do to help yourself. I don't like wasps either, but wouldn't say they posed a fear to me, and bees, I think are quite cute. :)

A number of years ago I used to duck and dive to stay away from them, I think thats a common and natural reaction because we all know they can sting. But this summer, I've noticed some big ones, so big I'm surprised they're not showing up on radar!

But the bees this year seem quite docile, wasps on the other hand tend to be a little more moody. Last year a friend of mine was in the car with his wife (and he HATES em both), when one flew into the car. They were stopped at a junction and he literally undid his seatbelt and scrambled head first out of the window because it was quicker than taking the time to open the door. Hilarious stuff, but fear that actually changes how you feel beyond bumping into them in the garden - certainly isn't!

Read about them both, maybe if you understood exactly whats going on in their heads, you'd be able to get your own head around their existance a little better?

Wenjoy
13-05-06, 18:11
Hiya
well Im soooo glad Im not the only one - I freak out and run around waving my arms around yelling "make it go away...!" much to the amusement of anyone around me at the time. Pathetic that a 46 year old woman reacts like this. I can stand still and let them settle on me as long as it isnt my face as Im scared of them near my face!!! How funny I know I must look running round in circles swatting the air !!!
Wenjoy