PDA

View Full Version : Hi again - is this normal

ames
07-05-11, 20:08
Hi all, hope people are feeling ok?

Right, I am going to start from the beginning. I was on 10 mg of citalopram for about 4 years, and decided to come off them at the beginning of this year (probably not a good idea as I am getting married in August!!) but I came off the slowly as I thought I was feeling well enough to do so. I finished completely in March nand by beginning of April I was a nervous wreck, going to work daily, feeling absolutely awful throughout the day, and not much better when I got home as I knew that I had to go back the next day.

About 1 month ago i just broke down on my fiance and decided I needed to take some time off. The doc put me on Fluoxitine but I had a really bad reaction so they decided to put me back on citalopram. 10mg at first for 2 weeks. Taking these for the second time was awful, I felt dreadful. I was in my house all day on my own and my anxiety went through the roof.

So I decided to come and stay with my mum for a while, while here I had, what I believe to be, a nervous breakdown, the doc came out and I begged to go to hospital. She referred me to mental health crisis team, and I have seen the Community Psychiatric Nurse (who is lovely). The doc also put me up to 20mg of cit which I have been on for 2 weeks.

So I had a terrible week of side effects, just at my mums, in bed, feeling ill. Now I am getting up but still feeling really weak and dizzy, not quite like me. I have started to leave the house but feel very nervous and anxious doing this. I have cut myself off from people although now speaking more to friends on the phone and seeing my fiance a few times a week. Is this normal?? I just cant function at all and seems that my house, fiance, friends, life, makes me anxious. Please, has anyone else experienced this, I feel like a freak thatb I cant cope and function in my normal life, will it get better then this?

I also experienced severe depression with this bout of anxiety, which has never happened before. Scary, but seems to be lifting.

Sorry my post is so long, just wanted to get it all out.

Tyke
08-05-11, 03:00
Hi Ames

My latest bout of anxiety led to depression and I felt very similar. The doc put me on Propranolol (a beta blocker) and Sertraline (anti-depressant) and I am now so much better. I really couldn't face people either and felt anxious everywhere, but that did change as my mood improved.

It sounds to me like you are progressing well. You are getting out more, speaking to friends more and your mood is lifting. The medication takes a while to reach its full effect, so just keep going and things should improve. Side effects can also last a while (mine went on for about a month) but should reduce and go away altogether in the end. I wouldn't try to come off the medication at least until after your wedding now though!

Tyke

ames
08-05-11, 10:51
Thanks Tyke

I know I need to give myself time but it's hard, especially on the mornings. Just feel rotten!! Just want to get back to my normal life!!