PDA

View Full Version : And I going to die?

sianyruss
08-05-11, 14:41
Hi, I wonder if you could all help me. Ive been experiencing stomach pains/IBS symptoms for a while now, I've been booked in for a barium enema and recently had a smear (results tomorrow :(). I now realise that i've really developed health anxiety. Its got hold of me and its not letting me go! This morning while desperately checking my breasts i have found 2 lumps in my armpit close together, i hope they are lymph nodes but i just dont know. They seem to be attached and around the same shape. They are soft and i can move them around I think. I am terrified - my husband thinks im going mad. I FEEL like im going mad. Im so upset and theres no one to talk to thats why i messaged on here. PLease help me. SHould I go to the doctors again tomorrow just to get it checked out? PLease help. Sian xx

macc noodle
08-05-11, 15:30
Have you been prodding and poking around your arm pits previously? We can make ourselves sore and lumpy if we do this (I should know, I am a slave to checking out my body for the next deadly disease :ohmy:)

Are you mid cycle or on a period ?

The could just be lymph glands fighting a local infection - like a bug bite you may have got whilst the weather has been nice or a spot or even a virus. Try not to touch for a few days and see what happens. I went to my doc with a lump in my groin and she had a good feel and said it was just the lymph nodes and if still there in three weeks to go back - it went down (and of course it has come back up and gone down several times since then)................

If you really feel you need to see Doc, make an appointment - if it will help put your mind at rest.

Hope you feel better soon.

xx

onlysmee
08-05-11, 16:09
I'd echo all of what Macc Noodle has said, and also wondered if you check regularly or not? I've never checked that regularly, and recently found several awful feeling lumps in my left breast when washing in the shower. The conviction that I had breast cancer swept over me. A week later, they were gone. My GP said this is really common with armpit and breast lumps. She also said that even if you find a lump that's there consistently, 8 out of 10 aren't a problem, if it helps to ride out today with a few comforting statistics. Plus lumps in the armpit can often be small localised hair follicle infections; they would move around, and mine go all by themselves after a couple of days. So I would say either that or your lymph nodes is almost certainly what you're feeling, not the awful stuff you're imagining.

I would go and see your GP when you can, just for some reassurance, and maybe to mention how much distress you're in at the moment. Waiting for test results is really stressful, and increased self-checking is a sign of how stressed you are; it then results in you finding more potential problems (because no-one's body is normal!), and more stress. And that's hard. Having people think you're mad is no fun either - that's way I like this place, we can all be neurotic together without any judgements!

anthrokid
09-05-11, 07:42
Hey Sian,

it definitely sounds to be like you are suffering from some yucky health anxiety. We've all been there so remember that you are never alone in the way you are feeling.

Remember, breasts are naturally bumpy and lumpy, and it does sound to be like it may just be your lymph nodes. But if it is really worrying you to the point that you feel it is affecting your ability to do things then definitely get it checked out for peace of mind. It's always better to get that reassurance than to dwell on our fears.

I hope your tests come back well, I'm sure they will. Remember IBS is very, very common in anxiety sufferers. And health anxiety is also very common.

Keep in mind that everyone has similar anxieties from time to time, but we just cannot dismiss ours like most people can. Try talking to your doctor about your anxieties and see if there is anything they can do to help you get through this rough time.

Best wishes!

sianyruss
09-05-11, 10:10
Thank you for your replies guys :) I am mid cycle at the moment. Today the lumps seem to hurt but thats probably because i was in a prodding fest yesterday! I have an appointment booked for 3 this afternoon. I can't wait!! SOmething doubly scary happened this morning however, I stupidly decided to check my bum (very embaressing) as i was feeling constipated or 'full' and i started to bleed a lot. It look liked i'd had my period. I felt 3 little lumps inside my rectum (just inside my anus). They push down flat when pushed one way, and they feel kinda hard pushing the opposite way, like they are skin tags? Why did my bum bleed so much though??!! Now think i have cancer which has spread to my lymph nodes. I cant stop thinking of it. Im in work trawling the internet so petrified i cant concentrate on a thing.

I only got married a year ago, desperatley want children and the life ive always dreamed of. Please help me. Thank you for your posts already, they really helped at 3am this morning when i could not sleep.

SIan xxx

sianyruss
09-05-11, 10:13
Also, i do check my breasts regularlily, the lump has been there for a while now, but the other one i noticed yesterday. I have one the other side, but its only one and not as big. I'm also worried that the Barium Enema will not pick up my anal problems, only bowel problems so worry it will go amiss? Should i ask for a colonoscopy? xx

anthrokid
09-05-11, 11:13
Hey Sian,

I am sure that your lumps hurt because you've been prodding. I do it to myself all the time. Sillly, silly us. regarding your bum, you may just have a couple of fissures that you've pushed and damaged. Nothing too bad to worry about. Let us know how your appointment with the doc goes!

sianyruss
09-05-11, 16:25
Hi guys, well i've just come back from the doctors and saw a fantastic lady, who has a gyno background. I burst into tears and let out all my concerns. She thoroughly inspected me inside and out, meaning - back passage, vagina and breasts! She could feel the lumps i've been feeling and assured me they were internal haemorrhoids (which are what were probably been bleeding) but she also felt a lump on my uterus and said she thought it was a fibroid, so she is booking me in for an internal scan, blood tests (she said if it was bowel cancer I would be anaemic), she also felt the breast lumps and said that she didn't think it was anything to worry about due to my age so will put me in for a non urgent mammogram which will take 2 to 3 months (but even that is reassuring as if it was cancer she would have put me in sooner). She told me to have the Barium Enema so they could rule out bowel problems and we will go from there. I think having someone who is on my side and knows what shes talking about has done me the world of good - atleast i'm not going mad and this will be sorted once and for all!! Hopefully my pooing will be sorted out now as i won't be so panicky. Thank you for all your help on here. You really helped me at a time of need. xxx

anthrokid
10-05-11, 01:03
Oh Sian, that is brilliant to hear. What an excellent doctor, she sounds like she's really looking out for you! If I were you I'd keep going back to her ;) It's so hard to find a decent doctor when you have anxiety!

I'm really happy for you that you found such a nice doctor, it's great that she's booked you in for all these tests, even if it is just for reassurance.

Lucky lady!

Thank you for the update :) Just happy to hear thaat you're feeling better and that you've got a good doctor who cares!