PDA

View Full Version : Stopped from going back...!

Bryn Powell
26-03-04, 19:56
I only found this site last Monday (I'd never looked before.) I've been having panic problems for 6 years and the first four were terrible, but in the last two, things have been better. Although I have had up and downs in the last two years, dodgy feelings at meetings, a panic attack in a traffic jam (a year ago,) amongst other things, I really thought I was doing well. But last Monday I was in a department store and the feelings of panic suddenly hit me and I had to walk out (much to my wife's annoyance!) I came home in a terrible state and began searching the net for help. I found this site and read everything in it that night. I even printed out some pages for my wife to read, so that she could "understand." She took note of the "What to do if a family member....etc." item 5. "Don't enable avoidance." On Wednesday she took me to the door of the department store but....I refused to go in! Last night she tried again and I went in. I was not comfortable, but I survived it.
This afternoon neither of us were working and she very kindly (?) took me to virtually every damn woman's clothes shop in Madrid! Not once did I feel uncomfortable and although I can't say I enjoyed it, I'm very happy that I had no problems.
The site has helped me a hell of a lot and I've only been taking the advice for a few days....who knows what the future will bring?
Bryn[8D][8D][8D]

sarah
26-03-04, 20:11
Hi Bryn
Thats great news that you survived the trip to the shops ok, I sympathise as I know what us girlies are like once we get shopping...lol
Im glad that you have found this site useful and have taken the time to print info off and show it to your wife...thats exactly what Nic made the site for.
Lets hope this is a new beginning of no panic for you!!

love Sarah
xx

Meg
26-03-04, 22:48
Brilliant news Bryn.
I'm so pleased.

Meg

Brownie
27-03-04, 03:53
Bryn,

Im very glad your feeling much better...it's takes time for people around us to understand why we feel the way we do. But I think your wife did help a lot by making you get out and go to the stores with her, you need someone that pushes you to do things in your life when you feel this way (even if they are uncomfortable). This site will help a lot and i know that knowing others go through the same thing I go through helps more then anything ( I dont feel as alone)

Well Bryn Hope you keep doing well!

-Christie[:I]

stimpy
27-03-04, 11:24
Well Done Bryn !

I think you did the right thing, you recognised the signs and found ways of remembering what to do to cope. Not only that, but you help to educate someone else on how it feels to panic, so they can help you in an emergency. - Admittedly it back fired a wee bit and you found yourself clothes shopping. - But admit it, you were pleased to get a little nudge in the right direction, even if it is was uncomfortable, and would have prefered to look at "man's" things.

Keep moving forward and well done

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Bryn Powell
27-03-04, 12:30
Thank you all for the congrats, I'm a great believer in self-congratulation, especially when you've achieved something you have been dreading.
I think my wife was rewarding herself for "looking after me." This is no lie, we spent 3 hours shopping and all but 10 minutes of it was in shoe shops, clothes shops, jewellery shops etc. But when I said I wanted to look at some trousers she huffed and puffed as if she thought I was taking too long! In all "her" shops I patiently (for a man) waited without the slightest trace of "nerves." The only time I left a shop was to smoke a cigarette. (Yes, I smoke. I gave up a long time ago, but started again about 6 years ago, I wonder why?)
Today I woke up feeling really postive and will go out later to do some shopping (food, not clothes!) and am not really concerned about being in the supermarket and the shops.
Once again
Thanks
Bryn

diana
27-03-04, 17:38
Hiya Bryn,

Just wanted to welcome you to the site :).

I am so glad that it is already having such a positive affect on you.

Well done at the shops with wifey :).

I hope this is only the begining on your road to recovery ;).

You will find tons of support and advice here.

We are a very caring bunch here :).

Just remember you are not alone, you have "alot" of fellow sufferers all around the world who experience what you experience.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Take care,

Diana xxxxx