PDA

View Full Version : New Mirtazapine user

scoobs
09-05-11, 18:35
Hi There,

Have only just been put on Mirtazapine ( 15mg the last few weeks whilst coming off Effexor) and now on day 4 of 30mg Mirtazapine. After feeling v odd over the last few days, ( electric shocks tingles, SUPER VIVID Dreams, tinglings and feeling stoned/drunk almost) I have today been suffering from anger feelings and snappiness.. The other day, the slightest thing would set me off crying my eyes out. I know that meds can take a few weeks to kick in to be effective, but should I have these kinds of emotions running amok ? Getting worried that these meds are not the ones I should be on. I guess I am looking for reassurances that things will mellow out a bit ?

Your feedback/responses are welcome :)

Thanks for taking the time to read!

PS: Been on antidepressants for over 10 years now. Seroxat in one dose or another, then effexor at various dosages. After a recent panic attack/breakdown am back at the bottom of the well so taking steps to try and fight this again .. Its a struggle .

ElizabethJane
09-05-11, 20:31
:welcome:Hi Scoobs and welcome. I am taking 45mg mirtazapine at night as well as lithium. Mirtazapine does take longer to 'kick in' than other ssris as it is different in its make up. It is also an snri. The symptoms that you display are very normal for someone who is coming off effexor and going onto mirtazapine. The vivid dreams are all part of the course (I still experience them after two years being on the mirt) Tearfulness maybe all part of your depression and should settle after four to six weeks. The sleepiness/spaced out feeling should also improve after a few weeks. If you are in any doubt about your meds then it might be better to have a chat to your GP? In my experience the side effects will settle down and you'll start to feel better soon. EJ.

scoobs
10-05-11, 00:11
Thanks EJ. I should apologise btw.. I just realised there is a sub-forum dealimg with this. Should have posted in there. Nonetheless, I appreciate your answer v much. Nice to know these are common.

Regards

Scoobs

deepreason
10-05-11, 19:27
Having been on both effexor and mirt and come off them after a few years, I'd say that the "hangover" type feelings will be starting the mirt and will pass quite quickly ( 1 to 2 weeks). The anger, crying, electric shocks etc are actually withdrawal from the effexor rather than the new meds.

If you google effexor withdrawal you'll see that it's not a nice drug to come off. Kudos to you for sticking with it. It does get easier as time goes on, promise :)

scoobs
10-05-11, 22:05
Thanks for your kind words. Nice to find a place where others can help people like myself by clarifying these things.

Am pretty sure I wasnt told about withdrawal symptoms being this severe in the sales pitch :)

Regards

Scoobs