PDA

View Full Version : jaw clenching- citalopram related?

KellyS
09-05-11, 22:19
I've been suffering from terrible jaw clenching n wondering if its related to my taking citalopram?
Does anyone else suffer with this?

Kelly

moomintroll
09-05-11, 22:43
Yes I used to get this a lot and still do occassionally. I've been on Citalopram for a year and four months now. I also get days where I yawn a lot (usually in conjunction with the jaw clenching/achey jaw). I definately don't get it anywhere near as often as I did when I first started the Citalopram though

KellyS
09-05-11, 23:15
i've been o it 3 years and it must be at its worst right now!
Doc says not a side effect of citalopram!:ohmy:

NoPoet
10-05-11, 10:59
Jaw clenching is very definitely a side effect of cit and when I started on 20mg of cit I did it for a few weeks (at least a fortnight). I still occasionally do it now, but don't usually notice.

KellyS
10-05-11, 11:52
nobody seems interested. It really is a very painful. Rather than offer any advise, doc just told me i'd get athriti in my jaw. Just what need to hear when i suffer terribly with health anxiety!:ohmy:

NoPoet
10-05-11, 23:04
Your doctor sounds like he should stop giving medical advice and stick to secretly flogging morphine to chavs.

KellyS
11-05-11, 00:44
:winks: LOL , thats true psycho poet.
In fairness, she is usually understanding. But yesterday i just felt she'd heard enough of my ******** over the past 3 or so years!
I'm now trying to research as much as i can myself!

DJR
12-05-11, 13:49
I am also suffering with the jaw clenching,and seeing as the doctor put my dose up to 40 mg on monday ( i was on 20mg up till then) , im expecting it to either worsen or continue for a longer time.

AmandaS
12-05-11, 23:27
Doc said my jaw clenching was related to the anxiety - though it did only start after starting the Citalopram

NoPoet
13-05-11, 21:33
Jaw clenching is a symptom of anxiety but it is also a side effect of cit.

shoegal
14-05-11, 06:17
Your doctor sounds like he should stop giving medical advice and stick to secretly flogging morphine to chavs.

:roflmao:

Well there I was reading this thread in a VERY serious manner and now I'm literally laughing out loud (which isn't doing my clenched, tight, achy jaw any good)! Thanks for cheering me up though, I needed a good laugh. :D

I've had a very tight, achy jaw for the past few weeks now but mine also clicks and causes popping noises and weird sensations in my ear so I'm thinking mine might be TMJ? Strangely though, my jaw symptoms started the day AFTER I started taking Citalopram... although in my case I only took one tablet as an hour after I took it I threw up! I know I didn't give it long enough to work (understatement) BUT I have tried 4 other anti-depressants which ALL made me very ill and since I've been diagnosed with chemical sensitivity I really didn't want to suffer the side effects all over again...

labamba
19-05-11, 14:19
I clench mine and saw my dentist (have done so since a child and pre
Cit) and I now wear a mouthguard everynight to help me as I have Tmj problems. It's been great and stopped my migraines too. Getting a new one soon as my old oneof 3 years has worn through with my grinding. I got referred to ortho at hospital for mine. Makes a HUGE difference. Try your dentist for some help as will be affecting your teeth.

Million_Moments
03-06-11, 12:50
I just started doing this today when I took my first increased dose. Glad to see it is a side effect because it's not on the list I got with the medication! I was expecting to get the same side effects as the lower dose, oh the excitement of knowing I can get a whole new lot :p