PDA

View Full Version : Hi

venusbluejeans
10-05-11, 14:11
Hi My name Is Emma,
I have been suffering with anxiety for years. back in 2004 I found my dad dead on our kitchen floor, which really set off a bad attack (not sure anyone could not be affected by that really) but I am sure my anxiety has been going on for longer since secondry school days, because looking back i used to have the same feelings that I am having now but was not able to put a name to it.
for the last month I have been having the old symptoms back again the foggy head and the feeling of not being here and also the panic attacks and the feeling dizzy etc.....
what really bothers me is the feeling of me being in an 'alien world' where I am here and everything seems really alien to me really panics me. as the feeling is ALL the time and of course panicing just makes the feeling worse.
this last Sunday would have been my dads birthday and he also died at the end of May so that may explain some of it this time but this has been going on for at least a month so i think there is more to it.

I seem to have a big fear of being alone, at the minute I can not do anything alone, struggling to drive and can only drive if someone is there, petrified of being alone in the house.....
my Mum took lots of time some time off work to be with me and the symptoms subsided to a certain extent but now she has had to go back to work the symptoms have come back with a thump....
Would love to just be able to get in my car and go for a drive alone but that petrifys me.
before this all sterted I had joined the gym (I am 17 stone) and my life was looking up as I was enjopying going to 3 gym classes a week plus going to the gym other times a week....... maybe this was too much exercise all in one go as I did not really exercise before hand. but I can not even go there at the minute because of the 'alien world' feeling...

I have so much too look forward to (on holiday next week, I have to drive!!)but I just can not look forward to them at the minute because how I am feeling....

nomorepanic
10-05-11, 14:13
Hi venusbluejeans

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

paula lynne
10-05-11, 14:24
Hi VBJ, welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here with us. Im so sorry about your dad, that must have been a shocking, awful experience for you. As you approach the anniversary, its natural that your thoughts turn to your dad, and anxiety intensifies.

The feelings you are experiencing sounds very much like depersonalisation, use the "search" facility.....lots of info on this subject, and many many anxiety sufferers experience it in one form or another.

You mention you are going on holiday in a week and you have to drive. Today, why dont you sit in the car for half an hour, listen to the radio. Just get used to being "in the driving seat" again. Tomorrow,, turn the engine on, but stay there for 10 mins. Next day, try going down the street and back. You are just getting used to it again, and hopefully by exposing yourself to the driving experience again, it will be far easier for you on the day you leave for your holiday.:)

After the holiday, instead of feeling like a let down because you feel unable to go to the gym, try gentle excercise at home, housework, a gentle stretching programme (always a programme on SKY!)....get used to your body going through exercise again, and build up from there.

Enjoy your holiday, and let us know how you get on you lucky thing!
Best wishes, Paula x:welcome: