PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal Symptoms???? Help!!!

Anniejay
17-04-06, 13:36
Hi,

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago, when I started to come off Sertraline having been on it for well over 10 years. I have been taking half a tablet (25mgs) For just over three weeks now, and for the first 2 weeks felt fine, in fact better than fine, really well and on a high if anything. Now though it's a different story. Since Thursday, I have been having terrible anxiety, palpitations, depression and last night almost went into a full blown panic attack for no reason at all - I was just lying in bed and felt like I was going to lose control ( something that I haven't suffered with before) I am now wondering if this is connected to the withdrawal - maybe I'm doing it too fast? Or do I need to go back up to the full dose? If due to withdrawal - will these symptoms go away and when? I would go and see my doctor, but he is on 2 weeks hols, and I don't want to see the guy who's covering for him as he does not know me or my history.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Love,

Annie

darkangel
17-04-06, 14:44
hi annie

as long as you are coming down off meds in a slow method then it should be ok. i came off meds about 4 weeks ago and was really apprehensive i had been reducing for some time as i got a new gp cos i moved house and it was a different area. I felt good for a few days then felt ill for about 4-5 days but kept with it, i think worrying about the meds can make u worse. Try and use relaxation and breathing techniques and keep reassuring yourself you will be OK. Find something to distract yourself from thinking aobut the meds this is what helped me.
I hope this has been of some help.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Anniejay
17-04-06, 17:13
Thanks Darkangel,

I will follow your advice - what is so annoying is the fact that today I would say that I feel totally OK and 'normal' yesterday I felt like something had taken over my brain - it was really awful, and unless you've suffered with this no-one can understand and you can't explain these feelings. My husband tries to be sympathetic, but he doesn't really understand either! | guess that's why this site is so good.....

Annie

vernon
17-04-06, 17:27
Hi Annie. Sounds like withdrawal to me, I stopped drinking 2 and a half years ago after 40 years of heavy daily drinking, and like you I felt fine for about 8 weeks dry, then suddenly my anxiety returned bigger than ever, shakes, sweating, aerophobia and terrible fears. I took an odd Gallium just to try and get me through this part, but I did get over it and feel better now than I have for years, I came of antidepressants years ago but done it very slow and only reducing small amounts over nearly a year, it was ok but still had a few bad days. I am on Cipralex now 20mg antidepressant and I intend stopping soon, but after my experience I am going to cut from 20mg to 15 and on alternate days for about a month, so 20 one night and 15 the next night etc. then I will go on just 15 for as long as it takes for me to feel comfortable then 15 and 10 alternately, My full intention for now isn’t to stop but to get my dose down to half, then see how I feel. We have been on these meds many years so to me cutting down to half dose for a few months is an achievement? If I was you I wouldn’t go back to full dose, but if it does get unbearable why not try going up to 3/4 of original dose for a few months? You been on them 10 years so just dropping a couple of mg every few months is still an achievement. Take care hope the anxiety decreases a bit for you. Vernon

Anniejay
17-04-06, 21:52
Thanks Vernon!

Annie