PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a panic/insomnia cycle

Tiktak
10-05-11, 19:34
I don't know if anyone can help me
I am stuck in a cycle of no sleep and panic attacks and can't seem to get out of it.
Right now I feel so sleepy and tired from a lack of sleep that I could nap uneasily here on the sofa, but if I do that when I go to bed at my 'normal' time I won't be able to sleep. Its almost as if the thought of bed itself is now triggering the PA's :weep: (I love(d) my bed) I have had the odd sleepless night but never anything like this before.
I was very ill with a bad tooth and abscess a few weeks ago and spent over a week sleeping on the sofa as I couldn't lay flat or sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time because of the pain I was in. Since then I have slept 2 nights in my own bed, but I need to get back to a proper routine and I can't with only 5 hours sleep in the last 72 hours :wacko:
As soon as I stop and try to sleep ie in bed or on the sofa my brain kicks off and the palpitations start and thats it I am wide awake again.
Any advice please?

Lindy
10-05-11, 19:49
Euughh sounds horrible. I would speak to your gp, definitely. I had a panic/insomnia cycle where I would wake up several times a night feeling extremely anxious and just be permanently knackered the next day, went on for a couple of weeks. Everytime I just started to drift off I'd wake up with a pounding heartbeat, so sounds a bit similar. I started to feel better as soon as I'd had a full/proper nights sleep and broke the cycle and didn't bother finishing the course of tablets. I think it's definitely worth speaking to your GP.

Are you avoiding caffeine and all that sort of thing?

lilyrose
10-05-11, 20:36
Yes thats just how i was, i would wake in the night frozen with fear, at one point i couldnt stay in this house i had to stay with my mum for awhile.
I think i avoided everything. I think its due to lack of sleep non stop worry, i know nothing anyone says will change your mind, but believe me i couldnt even leave the house, iam in my 40s, and i couldnt even get in a car, but since then i am now driving something i never ever thought i would do. there is light at the end of the tunnel,(excuse my spelling), i think it was medication and group therapy that got me out of it.
i wish you could have seen me then to how i am now.
take care lilyrose:flowers::bighug1:

Tiktak
10-05-11, 20:38
Yeah, I don't have any caffiene in my diet partly cos of the sleep thing but mostly cos it badly affects my stomach after getting ulcer like symptoms from taking too much Ibuprofen a few years ago. I've tried all the usual stuff, relaxing, trying to switch off, reading, deep breathing etc nothing really works, I've not had this where I feel so sleepy and dying for sleep but not able to because of th PA's for about 8 years so it sort of feels all new to me.
I keep getting sort of hallucinations aswell, like I am awake and moving but still dreaming, sounds weird I know, its very hard to explain, I get very disorientated.
Even the prescription strength pain killers I am on for my back that normally zonk me out aren't!
Dreading tonight.
I have a Gp appt booked for Thursday morning so I'll mention it to her then if I'm still not sleeping.
Thanks for your reply :)

lilyrose
10-05-11, 21:01
Hi i really feel for you. i was the same i hated going to sleep as i thought i wouldnt wake up, and if i did wake it would be full of fear i would feel the panic attack starting and i would jump up and start pacing about, there was something about that room i just didnt feel safe, but i now know its because all my panic attacks started in there.:scared10:
I know its hard, but try curling up in an arm chair with the quilt wrapped round you, and if you feel sleep coming then let it, it dosnt matter where where you sleep, as long as you get some sleep, 5 hours out of 72 isent good and lack of sleep has a whole lot of symptoms. I hope your tooth is better, GOOD luck
lots of luv:hugs:

lilyrose
10-05-11, 21:08
Ive just read your last thread, it sounds as though how you are feeling is due to lack of sleep.
Maybe you could try and get into a good film to take your mind of it, and you will fall asleep.:cloud9:

Chriswebster
10-05-11, 21:44
Aw tiktak this is the worst kind of anxiety I have experienced. I am a seasoned night time panicker and have many times got into this cycle of dreading bedtime and being negative and frightened of it all. I get a stuffy claustrophobic feeling and like lillyrose has been, I pace the house unable to even be still. When it's at it's worst I can't be in bed for more than a few minutes before leaping out covered in sweat and fear. It's really really annoying because I too used to love to snuggle in bed and cuddle up to my wife for a lovely sleep. I now have 'safe' routines to help me settle but I'm still never relaxed on going to be. My lifestyle is completely hopeless for relaxation so it's no wonder but I'm also a bit stuck in a business sense and can't just move on to something new and easier.

Anyway, lillyrose is spot on - it doesn't matter where you sleep. If curling up in a chair works then do just that. Are you alone? If you have a partner there do they stay up with you? Would that help? My wife sometimes tries some massage for me which can help me relax. Sometimes I'm too stress to even have that!

Sorry I've got no quick fix advice. Just wanted to stand with you on it and say I know how you feel. Hang in there, it does pass, and nature does intervene.

I hope tonight is the night you sleep well.
Chris x