PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty processing the world

Million_Moments
11-05-11, 19:51
Something that started with my anxiety attacks about dying is a bit crazy sounding. I've been finding the concept of being alive increasingly difficult to cope with. By that I mean I find I can't understand the world I live in, and sometimes I feel like my brain is not experiencing the same things that are happening to my body - espicially when outside.

It's very hard to expain, but an example would be I look at a blue sky on a sunny day and I don't understand it, and I feel confused about why it's beautiful and wonder if I'm seeing it at all. When I speak to other people, I just start thinking about who they are, why do our conciousnesses (that's not a word is it?) exist at the same time.

anthrokid
21-05-11, 16:07
I know exactly what you mean, and so do a lot of other anxiety sufferers. What you are referring to is known as derealisation or depersonalisation, and it is caused by anxiety. Things don't feel real or they don't feel like they are happening to us. It is very common in anxiety. I used to have this a lot, and I still get it from time to time, but no so much since I've been having treatment via medication and sessions with my psychiatrist. If it does bother you a lot, maybe see if you can get in to talk to your doctor about it, and they may be able to refer you to a counsellor, psychologsit or psychiatrist who can better explain what is happening and why, and how you can go about coping with it and getting through your anxiety :)