PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Zone

Mich1111
12-05-11, 21:22
I have not posted on here for a while, thankfully my anxiety/panic attacks/depression have been under control. I have been working and managing to go out and lead a so called normal life, which is great compared to how I was a couple of years ago.

However, recently I have been pushing the boundaries, 'to my normal routine'. I went to stay with family and stayed away from home. For some reason I was terrified on the motorways and by the time I spent the night away and got home I was on edge and feeling out of control again.

I am pushing myself out of my comfort zone as I cant let this anxiety beat me, I also feel its unfair on my husband/family to never go anywhere because of how I am. I've a few more trips planned this year which I am now dreading because my nerves seem to be spiralling out of control again. Even little things that I was managing before with no problems seem major.

Does anyone else experience this when they change their routine or am I on a downward spiral again. I so dont want to be ill again :-(

Raindog
13-05-11, 09:20
Hi Mich,
Pushing yourself to do things that you know are outside the 'comfort zone' as you call it are quite healthy things to do. I had similar experiences last year when I had a bad bout of anxiety and was in the first month or two of taking my medication. I knew the things I was doing were part of what caused my anxiety but realised that I needed to do them to help break through and get over the anx.

During those weeks I did feel more anxious at times, but each time I managed to do something that I was having negative anticipation about it reduced the hold it had on me when I looked back and saw that it wasn't quite as bad as I had felt about it beforehand.

I started looking at the anxiety like a bully that wanted to keep you from doing things that would help you get back on your feet. Each time you feel anxious about something, start thinking of ways to avoid doing something because it seems too difficult or will have a negative outcome, that's just your worst best friend telling you that it's not a good thing to do and gives you all kinds of reasons why. Really it's because it will help break the hold it has on you and help you get back to feeling more positive about doing more things.

I stopped taking my meds just after new year and was fine for a few months before the anxiety returned in March and it's been a very similar situation while starting up on the meds again and dealing with the anxiety, except this time I'm a bit wiser about how it tries to stop me getting on and doing things so I've been able to keep myself going and not avoid stuff quite as much.

Your anxiety levels will probably raise some after you've pushed the limit a little, but next time you try the same things, it won't be such an issue and you'll find it getting easier, then you can push it a bit more, weakening the anxiety a little each time.

Here is the daily blog I posted here on the forums during my time getting over the anxiety last year, you can see how I took on more responsibility and made an effort to push myself a little as time went on.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75400

Keep going, you sound like you have the right idea and you just need to be sure that the rise in anxiety isn't permanent, just a temporary thing in response to you stepping outside that comfort zone you've built for yourself :)

Mich1111
14-05-11, 18:10
Thanks for the reply, think its the reassurance I need. The angle of looking at anxiety as a bully is a really good one. Why should we let the bullies stop us from doing things.
Thankfully I am at the stage where I can keep more of a level head over the symptoms, just have a wobble everynow and then and feel the need for a bit of re-assuring.

Raindog
16-05-11, 08:03
We all need reassurance, especially while suffering even a little bit of anxiety. I find having a friend or two to chat with on a morning, when mine is worst, helps to get me through, someone who has been through it themselves and gets what you're saying.

I'm at the stage where I can deal with it much more rationally but I still get that little urge to seek some form of reassurance when I have a morning where the bully creeps in a bit. You've started to move beyond it's grasp a little now and it doesn't like it, you've stepped outside the cave instead of being afraid of the shadows on the wall and discovering that what the anxiety makes you believe isn't the case, thus loosening its hold on you. The anxiety you felt once you were back in your comfort zone was its way of punishing you for breaking the rules.

I'm sure by now you're over that heightened anxiety and realise that it was only temporary so now you can feel that bit more confident the next time you step outside of the comfort zone. Every bit helps you escape the clutches of the anxiety so take it one step at a time :)