PDA

View Full Version : Feeling low again

londonchris
13-05-11, 09:16
Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while because to be honest I've been feeling great. I made a decision to just quit worrying about everything and live my life to the full, no matter how long I've got left. I also started to believe what Claire Weekes' book said because it all made so much sense to me. Her first couple of chapters where she gave an imaginary case was me to an absolute tee.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the gym for a work out. I went on the weights and was feeling good so I decided to go for a bit of cardio work and went on the rowing machine.

I rowed 1000m in around 4.30 and felt ok when I was on the rower. Yes it was hard work but I wasn't getting too breathless or anything.

Now my anxiety all revolves around my heart because this is how it originated and this is what worries me the most, with ectopic beats etc. However, I didn't have any ectopics on the rower.

It's only when I stopped that I realised just how hard my heart was beating. I felt like it was thumping out of my neck. I don't know how fast it was going, but it felt fast.

Looking back, I don't really know what I expected to happen. Maybe I pushed it too hard. Either way it set me off again and I was worrying all evening.

This morning I've woken up with the same "edgy" feeling I used to get before, tense, tight chested, fidgety. I know my nerves are sensitised because my girlfriend accidentally gently knocked my foot yesterday and practically my whole leg twitched in shock.

It's bizarre to say the least. Deep down I know I don't have a heart problem - it's been checked out, I've had a 24 hour EKG, I had an echo done 10 years ago, everything about anxiety fits with what I feel I have. But that doesn't make the symptoms any less real. I was scared yesterday when I got off that rowing machine, no doubt about it. But the question which plays over and over in my mind is, was it just sensitised nerves and anxiety? Or did I push myself far too hard? Was my heart racing because it's weak? Was it just my worrying and concentration on the symptoms which made them seem worse?

I'm worried and I feel edgy again, and I want to get myself out of this ASAP because I've been here before and know what can happen if you let yourself slip down the slope again, it means months more suffering trying to drag myself out of it again.

Any help or kind words appreciated

:) :bighug1:

bexy1970
13-05-11, 09:33
hiya,i dont worry bout my heart(i do cancer!!)but believe me if i did,my heart after being on the treadmill goes like a mad thing!!! i even get a warning lte!!ha,please dont worry sounds like youve just had a bloody good cardio session!!!!honest my heart feels like its gonna pop out of my chest xx

londonchris
13-05-11, 09:42
Thank you bexy :) Deep down I know I'm being irrational about it. I've always been active, it was only 6-7 years ago that I used to run 8 miles every wednesday night with absolutely no problem - I'd love to get back to that stage again but then I didn't have anxiety at the time! It's the first proper cardio I've done in years to be honest so maybe I'm just not used to the sensation xx

Taffy
13-05-11, 09:52
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you had a really good workout yesterday!...I'm not suprised your chest feels tight to day. I used to do a lot of cycling, I'd do 30-40miles with ease a few times a week. When my HA kicked in 12 months ago I stopped doing it, however I'm slowly getting back in the saddle. I went out for a good run the other day and the following day I was in bits!...tight chest, muscle cramps, headache etc...

What I'm getting at is not to worry...you worked hard in the gym yesterday and your body is just feeling effects and the HA about your heart is blowing it out of proportion.

Have an easy day and try and relax and I'm sure you'll feel better mate.

londonchris
13-05-11, 10:09
Thanks for the reply mate. It's so hard when you go from being really active to doing nothing. I'm 23 now, but back at school I used to run about 2.5 miles on a monday, around 2 on a wednesday, around 7 on a Thursday. As well as that I'd be coaching football on a wednesday night and saturday morning. I'd also be out and about, playing football over the park most evenings and weekends. And now, about 7 years later, I do hardly anything because I'm too scared to! It's terrible really :shrug:

Worryaboutworrying
13-05-11, 10:12
Hey Chris,

I think like what the other guys have said, its just that you have had a brilliant work out. Because you associate your heart beating fast with an anxiety attack it has just put you out of sorts.
Your keeping your heart healthy by the exercise.

http://www.florahearts.com.mt/Consumer/Article.aspx?Path=Consumer/KnowYourHeart/HowExerciseAffectsYourHeart/Home

Chin up. :)

londonchris
13-05-11, 10:24
Thanks for your reply, that link looks interesting. I'm still kind of glad I did it as I do want to get more active again, it's just at the time I suppose because I was so anxious about it, it was triggered off straight away. Looking back, yes my heart was pounding but I didn't have any chest pain or dizziness or anything, it was just pounding.

paula lynne
13-05-11, 10:52
Hi Chris.x
I think a strenous work out will bump up your adrenaline for a while after youve finished exercising. I often find that after walking home (30deg hill)..it takes my heart a good 10 mins to settle down...and I get the odd ectopic too.

I think you woke up worrying about it because your concious mind made the connection at the gym that because your heart was pounding you must have a heart problem. This re-enforced your old worries, and you woke up feeling unwell. Best thing to do is go back to the gym and "get back on the horse" so to speak. Exercise is fab physically and mentally. You dont want to get into a scenario where you associate the gym with anxiety.....do you get me?

Your heart is a very powerful muscle, and exercising is fantastic! Your more likely to have a weak heart by not exercising it. Try to put the incident out of your mind if poss, and keep your chin up. We all have days like that, youre not alone. x
Paula x:)

You

londonchris
13-05-11, 11:07
Hi Paula,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah it makes a lot of sense your post. I agree that I do need to get back in there asap because association can be a huge problem with health anxiety. I'll be back down there next week on the weights, I'll take it a little easier with the cardio - slow and steady and all that!!! hehe x