PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia and going to hospital

cupcakes2009
13-05-11, 15:11
OMG seriously I've not been on here in a while as I've been doing so well with my panic attacks and anxiety, but here i am faced with my worst nightmare :weep: I have got really bad abdominal pains and in my lower back, my doctor has said i need a abdominal and pelvic scan to have a look at what is going on, so there is no hospital near me, like 20 miles away, but i managed to ring them and have found a place that does scans only 9 miles away and is not in a hospital just on a ground floor building, I'm not scared of them touching me etc but how on earth am i going to get there, im terrified il freak out and scream and cry and want to run away, and im so far away from my safe place which is home, my husband will drive me and mum said she would come to but all i can do is cry :weep: when i think about it, its on the 2nd of June. Ive not been anywhere in like 6 years and i knew one day this would happen, my worst nightmare has come to me.

What do i do? how do i do it? will i freak out? will diazepam stop me from panicking? say 10mg?

Arrggghhhh please help me :hugs:

cupcakes2009
14-05-11, 17:03
anyone please? :(

Tiny_Dancer
14-05-11, 17:15
Something similar happen with me not too long ago. If you explain to one of the staff at the desk that you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, they're really understanding with it and i was told i could sit in one of the empty rooms until i was called upon....i was even given a cuppa :)

Spidergirl
14-05-11, 17:23
Hiya Cupcakes,

Try not to cry, its going to be difficult but really glad to know your mum and husband will come with you. I've come on here to raise my own awareness that I'm not alone, keep talking on here we all need someone and who better than people like us that have gone through similar. When was the last time you went and how far? What exactly about the distance scares you? Try seeing it as an adventure, may sound ridiculous but may work lol

jewels26
14-05-11, 19:06
hi there

i was in a sort of simular situation last year

i adnt been out of the house for 2 years but had to move to a bungalow due to disability. i was being transferred by community ambulance. i was in a state for weeks before but i did it. i did have a panic attack in the ambulance but it did go. true what they say about facing your fear lol i think what happenned was the realisation i had to move for a better standard of living and this made my will, determination and me stronger.

u can do it! think of the benefits and piece of mind and if you do have a panic attack so what. i dont mean to play it down or anything but anxiety makes us stronger not weaker. we face battles every day and some how we deal with it. in the time leading up to it do ur usual panic busting routine.

you can and will do it

keep smiling!

:yesyes:

Megan73
15-05-11, 07:53
Hello

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it.

Your appointment is the 2nd of June so you have time to tackle this asap. The journey is 9 miles so today go out as far as you can, it may be the end of your drive it maybe the end of the road but try to take some action. I know this is easier said than done and I hope you can do it as it will give you some control over the situation. Then everyday just go out, hopefully a little further.

However don't beat yourself up if you don't make the appointment, it can be rebooked and you will get there eventually.

I think Tiny dancer gave some excellent advice tell the staff at the clinic and they will be understanding. Also ask your doctor for some diazapam as it will take the edge of your anxiety.

I hope this helps

Megan

Thistooshallpass
15-05-11, 20:07
Hi

Maybe accept that you will probably have a panic attack. If alot of your fear is being scared of peoples opinions tell people you have panic problems which will help ease your anxiety whilst waiting. People are more understanding than you think (wish I could think this all the time), especially in a hospital. Good luck, let us know how you get on *hug*

shoegal
16-05-11, 05:14
I know how you feel hun. I am agoraphobic and dread having to go to any appointments. It's one thing tackling the agoraphobia when I feel ready to, but it's quite another thing 'having' to go out because I have an appointment. If you decide to take Diazepam I doubt you will need as much as 10mg. I find somewhere between 2 and 5 mg is enough for me depending on how nervous I am before hand. I only needed 5mg to get me to the Dentist, and I have severe dental phobia (and I didn't panic)!

Sanmarbro
16-05-11, 09:25
I recently had to have a nasal endoscopy - cable with camera up through nose to look at throat.

I thought I would freak out - but I didn't.

The day before the appointment I trialled the diazepam at the times I would need it the following day. This gave me a chance to see how I would be feeling at the time I really needed to feel calm.

On the day, I took 2mg half an hour before the appointment (which coincided with the time I left the house) My husband drove me there and then I took another 1mg before going in.

All went well - as it will with you.

belle
17-05-11, 09:48
Hi..

Last year, i had SO many medical procedures done, including...Brain Scan/knee scan (trapped in that flipping tunnel), CT scan, various gyne investigations AND an operation on my knee.

I freaked out even at the thought of being in the MRI scanner...and don't even get me on the operation that i cancelled numerous times over 9 years until the pain got so bad i had no choice.

My nearest hospital for all these things is 20 minutes away. BUT...surprisingly, for me, when i am put in these kinds of situations i cope.... It's funny because i can't leave the house alone without a panic attack, but laying me on the operating table (okay, i did cry), but no panic, nothing... I think if you're in that much pain, you'll just say "sod it - i've got to get this sorted if i want to feel well...".

Good luck x

haz
18-05-11, 01:31
Something similar happen with me not too long ago. If you explain to one of the staff at the desk that you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, they're really understanding with it and i was told i could sit in one of the empty rooms until i was called upon....i was even given a cuppa :)

Yeah, tell them. They will be extra gentle with you. Worst case scenario, if you do have a panic attack (which you won't) you'll be surrounded by doctors and nurses and in the safest hands. :flowers:

cupcakes2009
20-05-11, 08:43
Well i had a massive panice attack on Sunday night and cried all day Monday :( felt so scared and anxious, i rang the doctor and told them i was terrified and ive cancelled my appointment for now and im going to work towards going in the next few months, the doctor said my pain is not life threatening and i can cope with it, i have so much other stuff going on right now that the thought of that as well was topping it off, i also have a stinking cold/virus which is not helping.

Thanks so much for all your support and i will try my best to work on getting there in the near future :) xxx

WendyPC
31-01-17, 21:06
Hi
I'd just like to encourage those of you who find travelling overwhelming especially if a hospital visit is needed. I travelled today 7.5 miles to my local hospital for an urgent referral to the gynae unit. I mentioned at the reception desk that I had severe anxiety and they let me be seen straight away with no waiting, so don't hesitate to speak up. I was frightened for days knowing that I had no choice but to attend. I am so pleased to be on the other side of the appointment and would like to reassure whoever is struggling that they too will be able to get there. The relief from all the dread and anxious thoughts is so worth the discomfort of the anxiety. The build up of thoughts is far worse than the travelling and low and behold 'the worst never happened'. I am going to use this experience as a springboard into the breakthrough I have been after for such a long time.
Remember you a strong and fear is just a chihuahua! You have plenty of skills that you have picked up along the way that you pull out when you need them.