PDA

View Full Version : Anaemia, any one experienced this?

happycamper
13-05-11, 18:09
I had a repeat full blood count the other day as last years blood test showed mild anaemia. Had a phone call from the GP this morning and it has sent me into complete panic mode and I thought I had learned much better coping mechanisms, so much for all my hard work in this :scared15:
Anyway, my HB is 8.9, so iron tablets I go. Just wondering if anyone else had been anaemic like this and what were the reasons?

Hopefulmi
15-05-11, 15:32
Although I loved green veg I never used to eat red meat (I am a steak fiend now). That, coupled with heavy periods, made me anaemic.

It is really nothing to worry about, your case is certainly mild and though the iron tablets can make you slightly nauseous constipated, they aren't that bad. Funnily enough 90% of pregnant women end up anaemic and when I was pregnant, I never was.

Please don't panic, it is a VERY common thing.:)

margaret jones
15-05-11, 16:53
Hi happy camper 8.9 is not to bad, heavy and or frequent periods can cause your iron levels to drop maybe is that the cause ?? just try and eat foods rich in iron and take the tabs you will be fine xxxx

happycamper
18-05-11, 20:47
Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to hear that other people have had anemia. The GP suggested it could be heavy periods, but after a bad year of on and off gastritis I just panicked thinking it was related.
However hopefully once it's corrected I might feel a heck of a lot better in myself - Know where the ice lolly craving has come from...apparently anemia can result in ice cravings :shrug:

shinderuko
18-05-11, 21:47
Hey I'm B12 Anaemic and have to have injections every three months as well as taking iron tablets. I think mine was caused by heavy periods as my diet is pretty good. I was really nervous when I was told I would have to have the injections but as my grandfather also has the same problem I knew what to expect.

rooby
19-05-11, 13:05
I got very anaemic years ago and then was diagnosed with coeliac disease. No signs of anaemia now strictly on gluten-free diet.

shinderuko
23-05-11, 23:15
B12 anaemia is a bit different - it's a macrocytic anaemia. If your grandfather had it and you are having B12 injections every three months, you probably have Pernicious Anaemia (which is hereditary), which means your body doesn't absorb B12 through the stomach (hence you needing the intramuscular injections). So it doesn't matter whether you eat lots of food with B12, you won't absorb much of it. There are other reasons for being B12 anaemic, but unless you're a vegan, it's highly unlikely to be a diet problem.

The low iron levels are a separate issue from this, I believe, and as you said, heavy periods are a prime cause.

I know I'm Pernicious Anaemic as the GP discussed this with me before I began my course of injections and I realise there are different types of anaemia too but the thread was asking about peoples experiences so I thought I'd mention mine.