PDA

View Full Version : newly diagnosed

hazelr24
13-05-11, 19:35
hi im hazel, got diagnosed today wit spontanious panic attack disorder, any tips or that would be great :)

diane07
13-05-11, 19:40
Hi hazelr24

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

hazelr24
13-05-11, 19:45
thank you very much :)

Hazel B
13-05-11, 19:48
Hi Hazel :welcome:.

There was no quick fix for my anxiety but I can tell you what helped & got me better over a 5 month period:

Counselling - talk therapy to help with bereavement and health worries
Beta blockers - just for 3 months they helped calm the adrenaline
Exercise - walking outside every day
Stopped smoking - nicotine is a stimulant
Stooped caffeine - ditto - very hard as I love coffee and it used to wake me up - decaff is just not the same!
Family support - I'm lucky to have a few close members of the family who would listen and tell me not to give up
This web site - invaluable advice, information and support
The slow realisation that anxiety will not kill me and if I ignore it & take the power away it will pass - not easy; but doing distracting things helps this - get on with an absorbing activity and you start to calm down
Eating less fat and sugar - boring I know!

Best wishes and hope you start to get better really soon.:)

mrk74
13-05-11, 20:31
Hi Hazel :welcome:

Sad to hear about your condition, your not alone and everyone here is very helpfull.
Hope you get better soon.

Spidergirl
13-05-11, 21:05
Hi Hazel!

I'm new too, really glad you've joined :):welcome:
CBT is my suggestion, changing the way you think about certain things that alarm you may make your panic attacks less or not as bad. Nothing changes over night, it's a long process I know I'm trying to do to improve my situation. Be positive girl and very nice to meet you

gaaron
13-05-11, 21:24
Hi Hazel, you'll find loads of support on this site..I certainly have.
:welcome::flowers:x

hazelr24
13-05-11, 23:37
thank you all, im on beta blockers only the first day tho jst had an attack and my heads killing me now, my doctor jst shoved pills at me and didnt give me any other options :/