PDA

View Full Version : Reasoning Out My Throat Fears (Cancer, as always)

n3kiM
13-05-11, 22:37
Sorry for the repost, it seems like more people read this forum than the other. :)

Hey, so I'm a 100% definite HA sufferer with a huge fear of cancers / tumors and am also very good at blowing things out of proportion when it comes to the possible reasons for pain, fatigue, dizziness etc. I thought maybe if I could reason out my fears here on the forums instead of alone in my head, I could get some responses telling me I'm just being irrational.

Last Friday (one week ago) I woke up with a sore throat in a way that I hadn't experienced before, and it has slowly gotten worse over the week. The pain isn't inside my throat like when you have a bad cold and swallowing feels like razorblades, it seems to be more OUTSIDE my throat passage, like between my throat / Adams apple / front of neck area.

Over Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I had a little bit of thick yellow phlegm coughed up every morning, which gave me a little bit of relief because this indicates some sort of infection, meaning it couldn't be a tumor.

Of course if I was a normal person I could just end my fears there, but then I keep thinking to myself "If it was an infection the inside of my throat would hurt, not the outside" and "if it was an infection I would cough more / have a stuffy nose etc."

Since Thursday I have now gotten that strange 'lump in the throat' feeling that never goes away regardless of how often I swallow and I have tried my best to attribute that to anxiety / stress, but it still makes it very hard to sleep at night / concentrate during the day. Finally, I have so much pressure on my neck / throat around my Adams apple area like somebody is grabbing it with their hand that I keep thinking SOMETHING has to be pushing on it to make it feel that way.

Both my brother and his girlfriend were sick last week with bronchitis and the flu respectively, and I figure I could have picked up some virus / bacteria from them. I just keep worrying because I've been sick with these things before and it feels so different this time, like nothing I've felt before.

I guess my main question is, can bacteria / virus infections give throat pain outside the main breathing passage, like the front of the neck / throat area?

Anyways, I'm trying to keep calm about it until it passes, but I might go see a doctor soon if it doesn't start improving.

Thanks for listening to my rambling! :smile:

angstsoup
18-05-11, 04:34
Hello

I think I know what you are speaking of.
I recently had a slight cold and now my throat remains irritated.
I too have HA and of course my mind flys to places it shouldnt.
I have a slight cough which has gotten better and which appears to arise from the irritated throat.
I presume you are in Canada.
I don't know the climate there but here in the states they said it will be the worst allergy season ever.
I know it is not easy but chalk it up to a slight cold, irritation, allergies.
Think the throat thing is more a factor of anxiety about the pain in the throat thus all the tightening up.
Try and float past this and let time pass.
Best to you.
You are not the only member in the dubious HA club
LOL

shoegal
18-05-11, 06:39
Hello. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It just sounds like a sore throat to me which is highly likely since your brother and his girlfriend have been ill. Try not to worry. It will pass. :flowers: