PDA

View Full Version : obsessions

theinfamissy
17-04-06, 23:51
Im posting this to see if anyone can relate to me...
I had posted a little earlier about a phobia I have of drug/being drugged,for the most part totally irrational fears.I had a freak out attack last night because when I went to take my paxil one looked like it had been crushed and I had no idea how it got crushed so I obsessed that someone had tried to do something to it.TOTALLY irrational because no one would ever touch it...So of course I refused to take the crushed one or the 3 perfectly fine remaining ones...I got really upset because I could feel myself saying its ok to take them why are you over reacting but at the same time I could feel myself refusing to take them...I felt like I had no control,like my irrational fears are takin gover...I am afraid to take medication...except the paxil and occasional xanax...my doctor want to put me on some medicine called abilesy? Does anyone know any methods to rid ocd without using meds?Is it possible?

andrew
18-04-06, 00:30
hi theinfamissy, anything is possible.

have you tried a cbt counselling approach. or any talking based therapy. have you tried any hypnosis based treatments.

medication is not a cure. when it does work, its just an aid.

dont be too upset. thats the best thing to do, argue it out with yourself that it is ok to take. so your feelings overwhelmed you yesterday, i think if you do keep on trying at some time you will regain control.

if you think back to when this started, you must probably didnt argue it out with yourself and just reacted to your feelings. now your questioning your actions and that change is progress. stay positive.

you take care .. andrew

Dave
19-04-06, 23:43
At least you are recognising that these are irrational beliefs. Just keep reminding yourself that they are not true.

mum2four
19-04-06, 23:54
I recently read that facing OCD thoughts with logic is a VERY BAD IDEA it will increase the OCD obsession.

Instead facing it with say a comment like " OH yer I'm sure some one has done...... to my med's that exactly what has happened" wich a joking tone as well I find that help me out heap's

I just recently discover I have alway had OCD obsessions and behaviours and all my life I thought I was dealing with just anxiety issues and I faced my logical reasoning and I could not for the life of me understand why I was getting worse not better till I found that bit of info out and it all made sence the fears that I no longer have went away when I finaly gave in to them and by making comment's like that to my self or my partner has often made comment like that to me out of fun and I never undestood why it seemed to calm me down I use use to put it down to attention seeking or something but then my fear of being seen as attention seeker became extream. for my self I know that just letting the fear come and making some silly joke about it instead of logicly trying to convince my self I'm over reacting shortern the lenght of the obsession and also the intencity of them.