PDA

View Full Version : For those who feel stupid

drmark05
15-05-11, 07:09
This is going to sound arrogant, and for this I apologise, but I am a smart person. I have a Masters degree in Communications and a PhD in the same field, and have been teaching at university level for the past 10 years. Having to stand before hundreds of often disinterested teenagers every week and encourage them to learn requires a fair degree of confidence, so it came a somewhat of a shock to have that confidence rocked by health anxiety.

It started not long after I turned 40 - I was giving a lecture and I felt a little dizzy. Normally I would have just dismissed it but for some reason thought I'd check what Google had to say (even though I blast my students for relying on Google). The first three hits were about heart attacks and described pretty much what I was feeling exactly, along with other symptoms I wan't having, such as numbness in the limbs. The next day I got up to give a lecture and sure enough, my left arm began to feel numb. I panicked, feeling short of breath and dizzy, convinced my students were about to be given something really interesting to talk about over lunch. So I canceled the lecture, went straight to the nearest doctors office and told them I thought I was having a heart attack.

I wasn't. They did tests. The reminded me that I can do a 90 minute workout at the gym with no problems. They convinced me that what I was experiencing was an anxiety attack, which was both confronting and relief all mixed into one.

Life went on, my heart didn't stop and I though all was well. Then I found a blemish on my leg, which Google assured me was probably skin cancer. Back to the doctors, back for more tests. All negative, all OK.

A couple of weeks go by, and a very mild pain appears in my side, along with matching pains in my tailbone and hip. Logic would indicate that this is muscular, but Google has me convinced it's colon cancer. Has to be. I never used to go to the loo this often before (or did I?). Never mind that the FOBT came back negative and the doctor thinks it's probably due to carrying an overloaded camera bag on one shoulder.

I finally bit the bullet and saw a counsellor, and while it is still early days I do feel like that was an important first step. Though I felt a bit silly describing my reactions to what are really mild sensations, he helped me understand that people with health anxiety are hyper-sensitive to every bodily sensation. It helped, and it made me feel a little less stupid.

And that is what this post is about. Despite being very well educated and a self-confessed "smart person", this thing has had a major impact on my life. The one good thing to come out if it was that I finally learned that the only dumb thing is to not seek help when you need it.

Christers
15-05-11, 09:14
Hi there! it's funny how we believe that as 'intelligent' people we should be immune to developing such a thing as an anxiety disorder. You would think we would see it for what it is, ANXIETY! However, in many of the books i've read on anxiety/health anxiety, there is often a link made between intelligence/creativity and anxiety. Apparently we're not directing all this intelligence/creativity adequately and our minds invent something to challenge us! It takes alot to admit there is a problem. I recently spoke to my doctor about my health anxiety and CBT. She was surprised by how much I knew on the subject, until I told her I had a BSc in Psychology! I was met with a 'well then, you'd think you should know better' type of look, but once you let that little bugger called Health anxiety in, it takes alot to get him out! Gotta keep trying though! Best of luck with everything!

Taffy
15-05-11, 09:36
Hi drmark05...Welcome to NMP.

My experience with HA is very similar to yourself...

I've always been confident, strong, self assured etc then 12 months ago BANG! this HA came out of knowhere and since then apart from a few brief periods of respite I've been plagued by it.

It just goes to show that it can affect anyone of any age and 'intelligence'. Its very easy to slip into but extremely difficult to get out. I have just started counselling and its very early days...at the moment its a case of living with it and trying to control it.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Humly
15-05-11, 09:49
Hi there. I totally agree with what you all saying. I feel stupid all the time about the things I worry about and I feel embarassed about seeking help. I feel that as I understand how health anxiety works, I should be able to rationalise things and deal with it on my own and that the docs etc will only tell me things that I already know. So I will go to the docs and currently dentists about "ailments" and pretend that I am not that bothered about it when inside I am going crazy. Wish I knew the answer. Regards.

Phwoffy
15-05-11, 11:52
This has made me feel a lot better - I've often had my Mum say "you're an intelligent young woman" and I know my boyfriend thinks I'm absolute nuts when I sit and tell him about all the diseases I'm suffering from. The thing is, part of my head says it too so I'm fighting a battle with myself in the middle of all this.

I have to say that what Christers says definitely seems to ring true with me. I was bullied at school and was signed off on medical grounds (stress, terrible migraines, panic attacks etc) and things got worse in the year I spent at home. When I went to college and started using my brain in the right way again, it almost cleared up. Now, I'm stuck at home looking for a job and my brain is going mad. About 6 months before this period of anxiety started, I remember saying to someone that my head felt "claustrophobic" because it had nothing to do! And then, oh look, I spend my constant free time thinking up terrible illnesses and searching my body for any sign of, well, anything!

Anxiety is a horrible thing, especially when people are thinking that you "should know better" because, in my experience, you know that too. But that doesn't stop it. Fingers crossed we can all start to improve as soon as possible.

ZoWeeMcfly
15-05-11, 12:01
I get this.
I used to think that smart people wouldn't get anxiety/depression. I always used to think that I was too smart to let anything like that happen to me. But now look at me. It's difficult to judge who will and who won't end up with anxiety/depression issues, it could happen to anyone really.
People often do give me the 'You're a smart girl, you'll be fine' and I think, just because I'm clever and do well in exams, it means I need less support to get through this..
You can't stop anxiety just because you are clever. Noone is more or less prone to it, it's just something that happens to us.