PDA

View Full Version : Gallstones

louisa2983
15-05-11, 13:16
Hi,

I am having tests done at the moment for suspected gallstones, but of course I think its cancer.

I was just wondering if anyone with gallstones experiences pain for a few days after an attack.

Thank you
Louisa

bluesparkle
15-05-11, 14:21
hi
i have had gall stone problems and now have had my gall bladder removed.
yes i used to get alot of pain ... and it lasts for days... it also made me feel very tired.
i put up with this for years and didnt realise how rough it made me feel until i had the gall bladder taken out.
its the best thing i had done.
you will be ok.
rach
x

Hazel B
15-05-11, 15:59
Hi, I had my gallbladder taken out 5 months ago. The pain I had was down my right hand side, like an awful stitch (the location is at the side where your liver is). I also had pain like indigestion but much worse between midnight and 3 am, it woke me up and stopped me sleeping. Once I knew I had gallstones, I cut out fat before the op. and the pain did ease off but I found that when it was bad, no pain killer could help. I did get a bit of shoulder pain but it was on the right. The pain in my right had side was constant.

Diagnosis for me was after 2 ultrasound scans, a CT scan and an MRI, it took a while. I'm OK now.

Hope you find out soon what it is & get better.

louisa2983
15-05-11, 22:13
Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to know if pain after an attack was normal so thanks bluesparkle for easing my mind. :D

Hazel B
15-05-11, 22:38
I never had an attack, just constant pain.

Hope you get better soon, I'm sure it won't be cancer, try not to worry.

louisa2983
15-05-11, 23:00
Thanks Hazel, i'm sure i'll be fine. I have two aunts who had their gallbladders out this year so it runs in the family.

Just really want to know now whether or not I have them now. I have an ultrasound on Thursday, hopefully they will tell me there and then.

Hazel B
16-05-11, 11:41
My Mum had them too, it can be hereditary.

I was told on my first ultrasound that they thought they saw a gallstone, the other tests I had were to confirm that and check my liver.

Hope it goes well on Thursday, take a book in case the unit is running late.:)

louisa2983
19-05-11, 15:17
Hiya,

Have just been for my scan and I do have gallstones. Now I have to see my doctor to discuss treatment options.

louisa2983
19-05-11, 18:25
I was ok, but have just had a phone call from the hospital saying I need to go for a re - scan, so I am now freaking out thinking that they have found something really bad

Hazel B
19-05-11, 19:30
Don't fret, they may need to check for more than one stone or measure the size of the one they saw. It may be they need a closer look. I'm sure it will be OK.

louisa2983
20-05-11, 14:39
I am trying not to. You are probably right, they just need to check the size or how many there are. Maybe the pictures they took weren't clear enough. I dont know it could be loads of things, just wish theyd told me why?

Threnners
20-05-11, 19:28
I had no pain, just horrible, horrible heartburn and acid reflux. My gastroenterologist was stumped until I told him I had gallbladder attacks while I was pregnant. He sent me in and I was loaded with them. Once it was out, it took my stomach about 6 weeks to settle down, and I can eat pretty much what I want now. And what little pain I did have was gone immediately.

Don't panic, they might just need to redo the scan because the radiologist spilled coffee on your report. :)

Hazel B
20-05-11, 22:23
I'm sure you'll be OK, the waiting is worse. Try not to fret too much.

louisa2983
24-05-11, 16:22
I've got my scan in the morning, fingers crossed its all ok.

Hazel B
24-05-11, 16:34
Hope it is OK for you. :)

louisa2983
25-05-11, 15:23
I've had my scan and it was to see if the stones were stuck to the wall of the gallbladder or if the gb was full of stones, and its full of stones.

Looks like I won't get a choice on whether or not to have it removed.

Hazel B
25-05-11, 20:02
You'll probably be advsied to have your gallbladder removed, at least all the tests are over now!

I had mine done at the end of December last year and I'm fine now. If you have any questions, don't hesitate.:D

louisa2983
26-05-11, 13:53
Thanks Hazel, I will x