PDA

View Full Version : splitting lithium 200mg tablets

ElizabethJane
15-05-11, 19:57
Shame to say but I ran out of 200mg lithium priadel tablets one day last week. I split one of the 400mg tablets that I had and took that. I am supposed to take 1,000mg lithium every night. I felt normal the next day a bit shaky but normal. I spoke to the pharamcist but not my usual one who said I must not do this but did not explain the reasons why? Has anyone else had experience of this? It was only for one night and I was back to my usual dose the next night. I have been to see Dr J my psychiatrist but failed to tell him what I had done. The tablets are easily split. I have had a lot to deal with lately and had not renewed my meds. EJ.

jo61
17-05-11, 10:35
Hi EJ, can't imagine one night would be much of a problem though I think they are extended release (I'm on Priadel). If you went straight back then it shold be ok. I have once or twice missed a whole night's dose and have been ok. Out of interest why did you not tell your Psych?

ElizabethJane
17-05-11, 18:02
Hi Jo I forgot to tell him. I had taken half a 400mg plus two 400mg. I expect that the dose might have been innacurate. I have had a lot to do with Dads funeral and had forgotton to get my meds. I'm only allowed a months supply so it is hard when the dates fall around bank holidays. Anyway how are you doing now? EJ

Magic
17-05-11, 18:30
Dear EJ, You will be ok,
I tend to get lost for words and forget stuff I need to tell my Gp.
I hope that in the next few weeks you will feel more settled in yourself ,as you have had such a lot to deal with recently
sending my love and good wishes to you xx

Elen
17-05-11, 18:52
Hi

I would imagine that it is not to do with the dose. If the tablets are slow release they have a coating on them which slows down the the rate they are absorbed.

When you cut them in half you expose the inside of the tablet which means that it will be absorbed quicker.

Should be ok as a one off but definately not any more than that.

Probably best checking back with the pharmacist to see if this is the reason though.

Elen

jo61
19-05-11, 13:38
Hi Jo I forgot to tell him. I had taken half a 400mg plus two 400mg. I expect that the dose might have been innacurate. I have had a lot to do with Dads funeral and had forgotton to get my meds. I'm only allowed a months supply so it is hard when the dates fall around bank holidays. Anyway how are you doing now? EJ

Ha, that's like something I'd do. I'm well considering I have a teenager doing exams at the moment - I feel I'm going through them myself and am pretty tired but am trying to keep myself in some sort of routine incorporating plenty of exercise and of course I keep taking the tablets! Hope the funeral went as well as these things can - I lost my dad 12 years ago and my mum 9 and it's so hard. :hugs:

ElizabethJane
19-05-11, 21:25
hi Jo don't get too stressed. It is always difficult when we lose a parent whatever age they are and whatever stage on life's journey they are at. My Mum died twenty two years ago and it would have been her birthday today. I went to see Dr J last week and he was very pleased with me. That isn't to say that I have to keep on working at keeping the depression at bay. I'm taking zopiclone at the moment as well but I hope to wean myself off them soon. You know where I am if you want a chat. EJ.

jo61
19-05-11, 23:21
Are you on Facebook? Inbox me if you are with your details xx