PDA

View Full Version : A form of medication to help deal with big events?

Stezzle
15-05-11, 20:23
Hey.

I've posted this in another thread but I need some advice and as i am on this drug, i thought others could help with any advice.

I am currently taking 10mg of Citalopram and also have CBT tapes, which i have worked through. I do not want to up my medication because I work full time and feel that i am able to have some sort of control over it unless its a big event and therefore i have no control and worry about being anxious and ill for weeks before.

I was wondering if anyone is taking a form of medication that they take when they are getting an anxiety attack to stop the physical symptoms before they start to get uncontrollable and therefore wont ruin my big event with such things?

My Citalopram i take everyday, i am looking for something i can take when i need extra help, is this possible?

LonelySoul21
15-05-11, 20:45
There are some forms of medication that can be taken for short term relief.

One type of drug is a benzodiazepine, usually only for 2-4 weeks use and normally only used for severe anxiety. They are very effective but also very addictive hence why it is only used for 2-4 weeks and also, you build a tolerance to them.

Another type of drug is a beta blocker. This treats the symptoms (physical) of anxiety by blocking the effects of adrenaline and noradrenaline.

Stezzle
15-05-11, 21:02
There are some forms of medication that can be taken for short term relief.

One type of drug is a benzodiazepine, usually only for 2-4 weeks use and normally only used for severe anxiety. They are very effective but also very addictive hence why it is only used for 2-4 weeks and also, you build a tolerance to them.

Another type of drug is a beta blocker. This treats the symptoms (physical) of anxiety by blocking the effects of adrenaline and noradrenaline.

Do you think these would be an option for me? i only want something if this one big up and coming event....I am worrying and being ill while out and therefore ruining the event, or my attack being over whelming that i end up backing out and letting everyone down, which i dont. I feel this event is bigger than what i can handle at the moment, yet i refuse to let this stop me from doing things and enjoying lives event

nomorepanic
15-05-11, 21:56
Hi there

You won't need to post twice so I will remove the other one for you

LonelySoul21
15-05-11, 23:20
I'd say that if you want the medication as a short term relief and only to use in severe or one-off situations then go to your doctor and talk about it, as they are only available on prescription.

It may make you feel at ease to know you have this emergency medication on your person if you need it but I wouldn't get too reliant on it.

I suggest if you do get this medication, do not take it for the first time when you have a big event. Take it a few days before, just to see how you and your body reacts to it.

Stezzle
15-05-11, 23:48
i feel that if i can get thru this big event without taking it but by carrying it with me. Then it would boost my mood and confidence about my issue, I dont like taking drugs but i feel like at the moment this is bigger than me and therefore i have gone to my doctors for help. I feel this is the only option apart from be really ill through this event and make a fool of myself.

Million_Moments
16-05-11, 16:28
Antihistimines are sometimes perscribed for short term treatment as well. I have propanolol which you can take before hand to reduce symptoms of anxiety.