PDA

View Full Version : A tip for those thinking they may be drinking too much.

Granny Primark
16-05-11, 11:01
I am sure there are many on here that have self medicated with drink.
Ive done it sadly. I asked the doc years ago for something to calm me down to enable me to go on hol.
I was refused cus I was told that diazapam is addictive.
But so what? So is alchohol!
I sought help when I realised that I felt my drinking was getting out of hand.
Im being totally honest now because I want others.
Im not ashamed.
I then began to need a drink if there was a problem I couldnt face.
I sought help for this problem and was given some brill advice.
This is what I was told.

Firstly if id have a glass of wine if the volume I had normally drank was 13% have a glass of wine that was 10%, then lower the volume slowly til it was 5% and so on.
The same was of lager.
Id looked at the volume before.

Secondly Never ever drink when youve got a problem or feeling sad.
(that makes sense really)

What ive started doing now is if something has really upset and im panicky I use my rescue rememedy.

After seeing a reply to someone I put on hugs last week I was so angry and upset.
Id admitted i got a drinking prob and done something about it.
Im not a criminal.

Anyways if my me coming clean and admitting my prob others can be helped by it then something good as come out of it.

paula lynne
16-05-11, 11:04
Hi granny thanks for sharing. No you are not a criminal, you are a brave lady baring your soul. Im sorry youve been upset by something in the hugs thread. Youve done nothing wrong, just been honest. x

shoegal
16-05-11, 11:13
Thanks for sharing your story. I too have been refused Diazepam by my Dr leaving me without any meds at all (as I'm chemical sensitive and have reacted badly to anti-depressants that I have tried). I have at times considered self medicating with drink but I know deep down that it would not solve anything in the long run and luckily I'm strong enough to resist the urge (so far anyway). It's a real shame when you ask Dr's for help and they turn you away. I'd rather be addicted to Diazepam than some of the other evils out there... and to be fair I have never used more than 5mg in a bad week anyway! I have even considered buying Diazepam on the internet but I'm scared that it might not be good quality. What do you do eh?

Granny Primark
16-05-11, 11:55
Shoegal ive thought exactly the same.
Ive always been a strong person and had lots of friends and was always dashing about.
Ive never been addicted to anything other than cheese.
I would personally just use diazapam for certain situations where my panic and anxiety was so bad it was affecting my family. well I hope so)
i.e 5 years ago when my panic attacks first started wed got a hol booked to turkey. On the day of departure the taxi turned up and I couldnt get in the taxi to take me to the airport.

shoegal
16-05-11, 14:03
I agree with you Granny Pimark. I think it would be unwise to take Diazepam every day and depend upon it but I think it can be very useful when used occasionally. I have a phobia of the Dentist but 5mg got me through the door and into the dreaded chair! I don't think the odd 1 or 2 mg here and there when you are tackling agoraphobia is harmful at all, but my Dr says I'm already 'psychologically' addicted to it because I carry some in my pocket. If that's true then surely anyone carrying an inhaler in case they have an asthma attack, or anyone carrying insulin in case they have a diabetic episode is also an addict? I think my agoraphobia is just as debilitating to my life as some other illnesses are to others, although I do realise the symptoms won't kill me no matter how bad they seem at the time.